• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Recent posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
Warbirds / Re: Ziroli Corsair Build
Last post by Barry Ponder - January 18, 2022, 02:05:24 PM
Nice color scheme.
We've seen the blue always. Not many grey ones.
Well the wind blows and it's fixing to get really cold. So much for fall. It straight into winter for now.
Barry
Last post by Lane C. - January 18, 2022, 07:16:30 AM
Moved the build over to the narrow run table to make it easier to work both sides of the fuselage. With the planes moved inside, I have more room in the shop. I ordered some 1/8" x 1/4" strips for the fuselage stringers from BUSA. The National Balsa kit was a bit light on them. Couldn't find my balsa stripper, so order some and changed them from Balsa to Basswood for a little extra strength. Once I get the bottom side stringers on there, I can sheet the bottom with 1/8" balsa sheet. And move on from there.

I found a photo of one of the Marine Corsairs in Grey over White that I might use as a color scheme. It's something different from the usual 3 color blue.
Last post by Barry Ponder - January 17, 2022, 12:03:48 PM
Makes my head spin. Wow. You really have to stay focused. You have the experience to read and engineer the plans. What an undertaking.
Great progress
Barry
Last post by Lane C. - January 16, 2022, 07:37:14 PM
Flipped back over and added the guides for the elevator push rods. These aren't on the plans except to show how they exit the fuselage. It's pretty much up to the builder how to route them. I don't like this part as it goes SLOW. 

The elevator rods are in, now need one for rudder control. I'm not a real fan of hidden control horns, but Ziroli set the Corsair up that way.

And, the tailwheel steering will use a pull-pull system. Won't need any guides.
Last post by Lane C. - January 16, 2022, 08:02:16 AM
Flipped her over and added a stringer to keep things aligned. Kinda looks like a Corsair! While I had her upright, added epoxy on the Tee Nuts for the tailwheel mount.

This is NOT an easy build! Lucky for me, on RCSB there is a recent build thread of the same kit with great photos to look at. The Ziroli instructions are just about a ZERO.
GSWAM News / Re: New Article for M.A.N.
Last post by Lane C. - January 16, 2022, 07:58:32 AM
Hi Sonny, with the arrival of Winter, might be several months till I get her to the field.
GSWAM News / Re: New Article for M.A.N.
Last post by Sonny Coleman - January 15, 2022, 12:31:27 PM
A lot of building hour logged with this baby. I hope the engine has enough Ummph! to pull that big baby around.

Can't wait to see it fly!

Sonny
GSWAM News / New Article for M.A.N.
Last post by Lane C. - January 15, 2022, 05:38:48 AM
Wrote this for M.A.N. about all the trouble I had with engine vibrations on the 1/4 Scale BUSA DVII. Debra posted it 2 days ago. Lane

M.A.N. Article

Photo of the DVII on the run table after all work was done.

This is the plane that cost me my right index finger. Ha. Not her fault. Notice that this time, she's tied tightly to the table from all sides. And the plywood "chocks" were made for the 1/3 DVII, so more than enough stopping power. And, I DID run the DVII with outer wings attached later on. It's a good policy to run-it-like-you-fly-it before actually getting airborne.
Last post by Lane C. - January 15, 2022, 05:13:38 AM
Barry, yes, time to stay inside or in the shop!

Must have not updated this build as much as the one on RCSB. Got a bit more done. Whole lot more done, actually.

Built a fixture out of left over plywood from the bookcase project. Made a nice full length support for the crutch.

Once the fixture was done, began adding the formers.

Once the formers were in place, but not glued down yet, had some work to do on the tailwheel before former F12 could be glued in place. Attached some hardwood blocks to bolt it to and got it all fitted out.

Then came the outer wing bed stringers. Ouch! Lots of work there to get them to curve around the formers. Was not fun. Lots of cuts to the parts were required to get them to fit to the formers. Plus some bending and twisting.  Besides the infamous flaps, this may be one of the hardest parts of a Ziroli Corsair build.

GSWAM News / Max Ficken Texas Scale Champio...
Last post by Lawrence Harville - January 14, 2022, 09:25:06 PM
It is now official Greater Southwest has registered and approve the Max Ficken Texas Scale Championships 2022 for September 10-11.  Contest Directors for 2022 are J.D. Crow and Lawrence Harville.
Max was selected and will be honored at a presentation on Saturday Sept 10. All the classes will be listed at a later date. So come fly with us have a great time.

Details later. If you participated last year--YOU HAVE TO DO BETTER THIS YEAR.

The 2021 Texas Scale Champion is DARREL ABBY--WHO will be the Champion in 2022?????
Lunch on Saturday
Prize Drawings
Raffel
and FUN for everyone.
Pages1 2 3 ... 10