• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Recent posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
Warbirds / Re: Ziroli Corsair Build
Last post by Lane C. - December 05, 2021, 05:02:59 PM
Some pics of the semi-kit. I say it looks great! Laser cutting is very sharp and clean, both plywood and balsa parts. The bulk balsa sheet and sticks looks good too. Should make a good build.
Last post by Lane C. - December 05, 2021, 01:53:20 PM
Barry, got the semi-kit yesterday. Big box - 18 pounds. Will go thru it soon to see what National Balsa sent me.

Last post by Barry Ponder - December 05, 2021, 10:37:50 AM
Crabtree aero in full swing. Going to be a cool build thread.
Can't wait to see the wood on the plans.
 Barry
Last post by Lane C. - December 03, 2021, 07:16:50 AM
After much thought, I am going to use the VVRC 70cc twin cylinder for power. With a advertised total width of 9.5 inches plug cap to plug cap, it will fit the Corsair cowl fine. With 7.4 HP it should propel the 93 inch Corsair fine. I am having Valley View RC add a set of Bowman rings before they ship the engine for a little extra power and reliability? Hope so. Ha. Still waiting on the kit from National Balsa.

Last post by Lane C. - December 01, 2021, 09:39:56 PM
For those who might not be familiar with the AU-1 Corsair designation, the following from Wiki may help. Never says what "AU" stands for (Attack?). But it does say its starting designation was F4U-6, as primarily a ground-pounder. First built in 1952. So, still a true Corsair, just with a different designation. According to the Squadron Booklet, not even one known AU-1 exists today. And Squadron adds it was found by pilots to be difficult to fly compared to  previous Corsairs (likely due to the much greater ordnance loading).

AU-1: U.S. Marines attack variant with extra armor to protect the pilot and fuel tank, and the oil coolers relocated inboard to reduce vulnerability to ground fire. The supercharger was simplified as the design was intended for low-altitude operation.

Extra racks were also fitted. Fully loaded for combat the AU-1 weighed 20% more than a fully loaded F4U-4, and was capable of carrying 8,200 lb of bombs.

The AU-1 had a maximum speed of 238 miles per hour at 9,500 ft, when loaded with 4,600 lb of bombs and a 150-gallon drop-tank. When loaded with eight rockets and two 150-gallon drop-tanks, maximum speed was 298 mph at 19,700 ft. When not carrying external loads, maximum speed was 389 mph at 14,000 ft.

First produced in 1952 and used in Korea, and retired in 1957. Re-designated from F4U-6. A few AU-1's were given to the French Navy and retired in 1964.

I am not going to add all the underwing hard points for the AU-1. Just using that designation since that is the one I'm using as a paint scheme. Lane
Warbirds / Ziroli Corsair Build
Last post by Lane C. - November 29, 2021, 08:23:59 PM
Finally got around to doing a Ziroli Corsair! Wanted to do one for a while and now have a kit ordered from National Balsa. Ordered the cowl and canopy from Ziroli last week and got them today. Going to do her up an AU-1 paint scheme with the light grey and white paint. Sorta like the one pictured below. Will start on it one day soon. Meantime, will show the cowl and canopy.
Warbirds / Re: Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Fokker...
Last post by Lane C. - November 20, 2021, 06:56:06 PM
Bought some vacuum hose to edge the cockpit with. It fit nicely and helped it hold on with some CA. Kinda gave it a nice edge.
Warbirds / Re: Troy Built P-40 Re-do
Last post by Lane C. - November 20, 2021, 06:53:58 PM
Barry, yes, that's correct. Hope she's got those tricks out of her system, though.
Warbirds / Re: Troy Built P-40 Re-do
Last post by Barry Ponder - November 20, 2021, 09:54:11 AM
She's looking strong. She's a devil. I wonder what she's planning for us on The next flight.  Ha.
Barry

Ps. We will have to keep a sharp eye on her she still may have some tricks up her sleeve. 
Pages1 2 3 ... 10