• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., December 25, 2020, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Ponder

She's a great looking bird very nice.
Give them a pat on the back at Crabtree aero.
Barry.

Lane C.

Ok Barry, "good job good job" passed down the line!

One more thing I decided to do before a maiden flight is to make some baffles for the big DLE-85. She didn't appear to run hot on the 2 runs I have made, but it never hurts to enhance the cooling system. Made baffles for both sides and have them all but finished. Need to hand paint the "shutters" that direct cool air right to the cooling fins, less 1/4" or so. They don't need to touch or they'd get vibrated off. Added a hole on the right side baffle to keep some cool air flowing past the muffler. Waiting on some new rubber biscuits for the engine anti-vibration mount as I had them too tight and deformed them. Tower had some for $8 so waiting on them to do a reassembly.
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Lane C.

A pic of the rubber grommet/biscuits that are part of the anti-vibration system. This set had been over-torqued and ruined. I replaced them with a new set AND the steel sleeves that keep them properly torqued.

The 2nd photo shows how they are part of the motor mount.

Next is the inside view of the cowl baffles and shutters. Since this pic, I painted them flat black.

Right now the weather is stopping me from running the engine again to make sure I have it all back together properly. Next time, I am going to run a slightly different prop - a Xoar Sword 26x10. Same length and pitch as the first prop I ran, but not laminated. Other than an engine run at home, pretty much ready to take to the field. And that is another untried venture. Requires putting the DVII in the '77 Chevy with a cargo net over it and hoping all works out well driving at freeway speeds.

Lane C.

I'll cut to the chase here and say that Barry flew the DVIIF on Sunday for a perfect maiden and one more flight! I give Barry a 10 out of 10 on flying! Randy Mayhew made a video and the link is below. Took a lot or work to get to the field in the '77 Chevy but was worth it.

1/3 BUSA DVII Maiden Flight

Barry Ponder

It was my pleasure. She's a lumbering giant very stable after trim. The feeling that you get flying it takes you back to the past.
Great job Lane.

Barry.

Ps. I will get her figured out on the ground turns. With fwd pressure on the elevator to unload the tail. Will take some practice just don't want to nose over and cause a prop strike.

Lane C.

Barry, I've only got ONE extra 26x10 prop right now, so, proceed with caution! ha.

Darrell sent me a photo he took on Sunday and it was very good. I'll post it here. Amazing how clear and crisp his camera is.

Lane C.

Bought some vacuum hose to edge the cockpit with. It fit nicely and helped it hold on with some CA. Kinda gave it a nice edge.