• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Cessna C-37 Airmaster

Started by Darrell Abby, April 27, 2021, 12:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell Abby

April 27, 2021, 12:28:52 PM Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:46:28 AM by dlabby
    I had trouble last summer deciding on a winter build but finally decided on Jerry Bates plans for the 1/4 scale 102" Cessna C-37 Airmaster. The plans covered several models up to the Cessna 195. I received the Bob Holman cut short kit in August and started ordering all the special parts. I chose the DLE 30 side exhaust because I thought the stock exhaust would work. NOT. Had to special order a JTEC. Decided to add nav lights and landing light; this light kit had the feature to illuminate the landing light upon flap extension. That took 3-4 days work but on each build I like to try something new (to me).
    It was a fun project. the main modifications to the plans were the firewall area (plans showed a G26 engine) and I made the cabin roof removable. The side door under the large wing really limited access to the cabin.The framework is covered with Koverall, 2 heavy coats of clear dope, gray primer, Behr acrylic, and gloss clear coat.
     Problem areas: no access to hidden areas (for tank, servos, rx, batteries, etc); tail cone area has very small tolerances for controls; any adjustment or repair to control hookups will be very difficult (ie major surgery to airframe to gain access).
    The DLE is running great without the cowl but not with cowl installed so not quite ready to maiden. But we did get some photos
Darrell Abby

Darrell Abby

Well, I got knocked out. Let's try again.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, that's a big'en! Nice job. Lane
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Barry Ponder

Nice job. Really looks great.
Barry

Darrell Abby

After a lot of taxi testing and questionable engine performance, a short maiden flight was completed on the second day at the field. The plane was barely controllable and the engine/carb appears to overheat. So it's back to maintenance hanger for some modifications.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, glad you got her back on the ground OK. Lane
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII