• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

3D LabPrints.com 67" WS Spitfire MkIX - 1st Printed Project Learning the Ropes

Started by Sonny Coleman, July 20, 2021, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Coleman

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

The decision as to which motor to use to power the spitfire is made. The motor will be a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-280KV Brushless Outrunner Motor.

Speed Controller: TURNIGY PLUSH-32 100A (2~6S) BRUSHLESS SPEED CONTROLLER W/BEC (REV1.1.0)

Running 6S 6000 battery.

Retracts are next on the list.
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

The fuselage pieces are all printed and ready for assembly. The plane's motor and speed controller are ordered and on the way from Hobby King.

Now printing the horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizer, rudder, and elevator pieces. 

See tail parts breakdown below:
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

All fuselage parts are printed and now beginning to print wing sections.

Motor, ESC, and landing gear struts have been delivered.

The next batch of Spitfire will be made with LW or light weight PLA filament. A planes overall structural weight can be lowered by more than 50% using the LW PLA filament.

Another spitfire action video link below. This one from Flite Test.

John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

Two 3d printers are still printing 2-spitfire warbirds, but progress is slow.

The two planes currently being printed are being printed with regular PLA filament because when the endeavour was started I didn't know about the LW or light weight PLA filament, of which LW-PLA parts weigh less than half of parts printed using regular PLA.

The LW-PLA (light weight PLA filament) printed airplane parts are comparable (weight wise) with the popular foamy RC jets and planes currently being manufactured and flown.

Once the regular PLA plane parts are finished printing all future planes will only be printed with LW-PLA because lighter planes fly so much better. 

I'm going with the eSUN PLA-LW filament. Another great LW filament brand is ColorFab, but it's a bit more expensive per spool.
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

Printing has been going steady pretty much 24/7 with 3 printers running and I've been learning more about 3D printing as I move forward with the spitfire build and in the process have learned that many of the previously printed parts of the spitfire were not as good as they could be so they have been trashed and re-printed multiple times which has really slowed down the build process. Many rolls of PLA filament has been my tuition payed to the "Learn-As-You-Go" 3D printing school.  :o I'm beginning to think I may have picked the wrong 3D printed plane subject as the first plane to start out with. I found a great 3dLabPrint Spitfire build blog in RcGroups that really helps as well.

I've added an Anycubic Vyper 3D printer that produces even better quality parts than the other printers and it prints faster!

Today I started printing Vinyl/Carbon Fiber parts spitfire parts. The motor mount is done and the quality of the printed part is nothing short of excellent and super strong! The fully enclosed Qidi X-Plus printer and the high temperature extruder assembly are perfect for printing the higher temperature high strength filaments like carbon fiber blends. The spitfires wheel covers are printing now.

CF Motor Mount Pic:
John Ruskin

Darrell Abby

This is all totally amazing to me. You don't mess around, just jump into the big stuff. I can't wait to see the plane completed. Now, you have Tim into it. Haha.
Darrell Abby

Sonny Coleman

Yep, Tim will soon join in the 3D printing hobby! Maybe we can get him to post a build blog on a printed plane. There sure are a lot of nice planes out there to be printed.

Ok, still moving along printing much better quality parts as I go. Something else I've learned is how the glue joints work. Glueing parts with gap filling CA is a daunting task because quick accurate part alignment is crucial. Once the glue is applied you only have a short window of time to have both parts correctly aligned before the glue starts to set.

The spitfire's spinner came out nice as did the main wheels. I'm using a rubbery filament called Ninjaflex to do the main gear tires and tail wheel tires. I can't even imagine printing out my own custom wheels, but it does work.

The printed spinner wouldn't be too good for nitro or gasser powered aircraft, but for electrics it will work fine.

See pics below:
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

Spitfire Mk.IX exhaust is printed and ready.
John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

I got back into printing spitfire parts and finished most all of the fuselage parts. The tires and wheels are printed and assembled. I really like the texture and hardness of the tires as they aren't too rubbery but still not hard like some of the cheapy foam tires. They have some give to soften iffy landings.

The tail wheel bracket is carbon fiber and quite strong. I elected not to use PLA or PETG filament as smaller printed parts aren't very strong, but CF printed parts are strong and still flexible.

Printing the clear canopy now with GEEETECH, (yes it's spelled with 3 E's), transparent PLA filament.
John Ruskin