Steve, the old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" applies here. Those guys had so many hours in that plane they just threw training and common sense out the bomb bay doors! Sadly, their passengers paid the price for that attitude. And there was MORE than ONE red flag waving at them before takeoff. It's usually the THIRD RED FLAG that gets you (after you've already gotten airborne). Ha
One more thing, why did they have to land at the airport? Yes, that's attractive if you can stretch it, but looks like it was a stretch too far. Another saying applies here as well, "They ran out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas, all at the same time."
It will be interesting to hear what the surviving crew member has to say.
The scary thing to me is that the plug gaps were not correct. They are critical on the big radials. Setting the gap correctly is not rocket science.
Also, the flight crew should have noticed rpm drops out of limits during the mag checks as well as temps out of limits if detonation was happening. That may be why #4 prop was feathered. They may have thought it would get better in the air. Been there, done that, it almost never did.
That all sounds very similar to what I do. 320 grit is as far as I go. All looks good and ready for paint. Sure hope we can get out by June 6 Biplane Fun-Fly. I'm thinking I need to get some planes out on the drive just to start up the gas engines; Long dry spells are not good for engines.
Last post by Lane C. - April 05, 2020, 10:49:49 pm
I'm getting down to the small jobs before painting. I glued the side panels on today and might be able to do some priming this week. Two days are supposed to have temps in the mid to high 80's. I need to paint early as possible to allow the latex to dry thoroughly before clear coating, all hopefully before the Biplane Meet that might or might not happen per June 15th schedule. Got all the parts laid out and ready to mask off a few spots that need to be free of paint.
Last post by Lane C. - April 04, 2020, 11:30:22 am
Darrell, almost all the hardware will be taken off and painted separately if required (wing struts, landing gear struts) as well as many of the other hardware parts. All the "bare balsa" is covered with Koverall. I applied 3 coats nitrate to all the balsa, sanding between coats, (wings and fuselage), before covering, then two more coats after covering. Sanding over the covered wings has to be done carefully not to sand thru the Koverall. I used 400 grit very lightly there.
Got some pinked strips on the tail surfaces today as it would look strange not to have then match the wings. They don't show up well on the rudder, white on white, but they are there.
Last post by Lane C. - April 02, 2020, 09:45:42 am
We weighed the DVII and she was 20 pounds plus a few other parts I weighed on the digital scale @ 1 pound 5 ounces. Paint will add 2 pounds, and a possible 5 pounds ballast for a total of 28 pounds 5 ounces. Let's just call it 30 pounds flying. She should fly fine and the DVII was never a WWII fighter speed-wise. I've seen other's comments on weight of their DVII's and they fly fine at 30 pounds. I did try another CG test this time at 6 inches aft of the upper LE. It balanced good there with 4 pounds lead. 6 inches = 30 percent Chord which is a good, safe, CG. Now all I gotta do is paint her!