The 2 pound weight from divers-supply.com was just shy of 2 lb which worked perfect. It is now secured to the upper engine stand-offs. Need to do a final balance check, then she is ready to go to the field. But the runway is closed so it may be awhile. bummer.
Dave Cleveland is selling his 1/4 scale SIG clipped wing cub. I don't think it has an engine and I'm not sure of the price. No picture. If you are interested contact me and I will get ahold of Dave. Darrell Abby 817.692.7380
Still paint masks! I've been working on the CG. I have calculated the CG at 35 Percent Chord and that's requiring 4.5 pounds of lead on the nose. Don't have a final weight yet, but have ordered a digital hanging scale. Plane is too bit and awkward to try to put on the old Postal Scale.
First pic is the one pound diver's weight at the very front of the upper cowl. And, two, 3 ounce weights to the left and right of the one pounder. Under these on the lower cowl, is 3 pounds 3 ounces of lead shot for a total of 4 pounds 9 ounces ballast.
Second pic is the lower cowl with the lead shot. I made a frame to contain the shot in the cowl. Shot is well mixed with 30 minute epoxy and poured in place.
Third pic is the DVII hanging from the Vanessa rig. Rig is at the 35 percent chord marked position (green tape).
Fourth pic is the DVII hanging with a slightly nose low attitude.
Fifth pic is the lower cowl in place. Idea here is to move the lead as far forward as possible as that requires the least amount. Close clearance between the lead and the engine, but close is OK as long as it's not touching.
Callie says the masks are lost in the mail, so she will remake them when she orders more mask materials. In the mean time, I am assembling the complete DVII to do the CG assessment. I will use the "hanging" or Vanessa CG test method like I used on the Pilatus Porter Chirachaua. Once that is done, I can add the markings when the paint masks come in.
Darrell, thanks! I just saw the change in the Biplane Meet to Oct 3. So that's takes a bit of pressure off the build schedule. Now, it's just a matter of finishing the DVII and getting it maidened. Still waiting on the paint masks, but no hurry now. But, I would like to get all the markings on there and then do a final assembly and CG testing.
I've been doing a bit of layout for the crosses. I was doing this in case the paint masks were delayed on getting here. But, now it's just to see where the masks will go when they get here. I think they are pretty close to scale positions. The width of the cross-legs are a bit thin, but that's just a matter of getting some wider tape. First pic is obviously the top wing.