• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

RC Guys Ryan STA ARF

Started by Lane C., May 07, 2014, 02:32:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

May 07, 2014, 02:32:32 pm Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:07:30 pm by Lane C.
Well, Crabtree is at it again, another new ARF for a customer. This is the Ryan STA, 100" span, setup for 40cc to 50cc power plant, 15 to 18 pounds weight. This will be an electric powered plane with Turningy 80-100 motor, 100 amp ESC, and two 6S 5000 MAH Lipo's, pulling a 20x10 to 22x10 prop. Gear will use Robart struts vs the supplied bent wires. It's of all built up construction with glass cowl and wheel pants. Should be a very nice flying plane with more power than required, but the customer had this motor and ESC on hand and it will work nicely.

The STA is essentially the same plane as the WWII radial engine trainer, PT-22, but with an inline engine. Flying wires and wheels pants. Very cool pre WWII civilian plane.

This is going to be a very straight forward assembly/build. Pics as I make progress.

Motor mounted.

Quick mockup to test fit of motor and cowl.

ESC mounted at 45 degrees to catch air. This is not a part of the ARF, but a custom mount.

Side view.

With Cowl.

Straight on viewing the ESC aligned with the cowl opening.

Perspective shot.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Got things firmed up on the front end. Cowl is now fixed in place. Taking shape.

Setup down thrust using washers behind the nylon standoffs.

Glued the cowl ring in place.

Cowl in place and lines straight down the right side.

Lins straight down the left side.

Lane C.

May 22, 2014, 01:03:36 pm #2 Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:05:43 pm by Lane C.
Got back on the STA after a week of messing with my planes. Got the batteries installed with velcro and the ESC final-mounted and tested the whole works with 12S. Works fine and dandy. That is one powerful motor on 12S. She will fly easily on less than 1/2 throttle.

RC Guys thoughtfully provided a hatch for battery power for those that deci9de to go electric. Should be a pleasure to change batts out.

Lane C.

Got back on the STA this morning and spent a couple of hours creating the safety plug/arming switch harness. This is essentially an ON/OFF switch to complete the wiring circuit. Without the final plug installed, it's the same as your home light switch in the OFF position. This way, you can leave your Lipo's installed without them being drained or without the chance of them accidentally firing off the motor in the Pit area. I use the Dean's connectors. Some use the Power Poles. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. They have always worked well for me. Made a plywood escutcheon plate for the outside to trim it up a bit and give more strength. Primer and then paint to match. I have the ESC mount off to get to the inside of the fuselage. But, with some wire ties it will all get reinstalled, cleaned up, and up to Mil Specs.

Lane C.

June 24, 2014, 11:25:49 am #4 Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:06:57 pm by Lane C.
Add one Electro-Dynamic power switch to the side!

Cut the air outlet hole with pressure lip.

dlabby

What "ARF" is this?  I assume the wing is not one piece?
Darrell Abby

dlabby

RC Guys??  Is that the ARF manufacturer?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Yes, Darrell, RC Guys. Usual good product from them. Three piece wing. My 1/3 Scale Pitts S1 is by RC Guys. They haven't done any warbirds yet. I might ping them to try one next.

Moved to the tail end and epoxied the stabs.

Lane C.

Back on the job. Got the rudder, rudder servo, and tailwheel steering all hooked up today.

Lane C.

Got a fully functioning tail plane now.

Lane C.

Center wing section and wing fillets installed. Landing gear and wheel pants coming up. This may be the most challenging part.

Lane C.

Got the gear going on. The factory setup is being upgraded to Robart struts.

Lane C.

Like all ARF's there are some things that you gotta change or fix when they break. The preformed struts were at too much of an angle for the wheel pants to fit onto the wing correctly, so I tweaked one a bit. Ooops! it snapped in two. Guess it was a bit too heat treated. Anyway, that forced me to make a new one. Got out the Mighty bender which is 20 years old and I've never used. Put it in the vise and it actually pulled the 1/4" wire around the pin and made the new part. Made two as I figured the other one would break too. Ha. Changed the angle a bit too. There is no way to bend that wire/rod by hand.

Lane C.

Been on this since 9:30 this morning. Taken a lot of work to get these two gear even halfway symmetrical. Still need to put some screws in there to keep the lower pants attached to the frameworks. But, she's looking pretty good. The Robart struts are in there somewhere. Ha

Lane C.

Still on the center section. This part has been a real challenge. Got the flying wires installed. Whew! Also, anchored the pants to the aluminum support structures inside the pants.