• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Hurry Home Honey CARF P-51D

Started by Lane C., August 10, 2014, 07:45:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

I ordered a couple of scale detail parts for the P-51. Pacific Scale has some custom exhaust manifolds and some air intake filter covers to improve on what the CARF folks did.

The resin part will fit inside the cowl and poke thru after I cut the long oval shape in the cowl. then, the brass tubes get epoxied into the resin part and some other details to make them look like welded steel exhaust stubs. The finished parts in photos look very real. The resin parts are surprisingly heavy.

A rough idea of how they go on the cowl. The air intake covers seem a bit small for the CARF P-51, so I e-mailed Tony to ask him if these are the right ones. Look like they fit the 1/5 scale Mustangs. Guess I can skip using those if it comes down to it, as they don't add visual impact like the exhaust parts.
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Glenn Williams

Me likes. Think it looks awesome.

Glenn

Lane C.

I was in the middle of moving before Christmas and this arrived on my porch at the Apt. Ordered it back in august. Came in from Czechoslovakia thru Chief Aircraft. MVVS 80cc gas engine. I hope to get some work done on the CARF in 2015. The MVVS 80cc was sold as the Evolution 80 by Horizon Hobby until it went back to MVVS brand. Guess the license ran out. Not sure, but I was told it wasn't because it was a problem engine. Horizon still stocks parts for the Evo 80 engine.

gunslinger

I always wondered about these engines.  Get on it!  So, I can satisfy my curiosity!!!!!!!!  Does look like beautiful workmanship.
Tim Lovett

Lane C.

December 31, 2014, 12:59:52 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:05:54 pm by Lane C.
When I get the garage cleared out somewhat, get some insulation in the overhead area, get my bench setup, and get a heater, I can at least do some work. Just happens to be dang cold all of a sudden! ha

Tim, there is one or more videos of this engine flying a CARF P-51 on Youtube, looks and sounds good to me.
This just says "1/4 scale" Mustang which is actually bigger than the CARF at 1:4.5 scale. Really hauls it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRofEiKumrk

dlabby

Wow, that new engine is beautiful. Get the heater first, fire it up, start insulating, then workbench/tools, then you can get that Crabtree Airmotive going again.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Another CARF P-51 with a KOLM engine. Wow. Really hauls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LSuLlPiRk

dlabby

Holy cow, that sounds awesome. Didn't get to see plane up close. Nice flat, level runway, too. You working on that garage yet?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

January 10, 2015, 08:22:22 am #23 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:54:52 pm by Lane C.
Darrell, nope, nothing but crunching numbers.

bille

Lane,
Is a permit required where you live?
When I built my shop back in NC I told the building permit people that I intended to build a "storage" shed.. no power or water,,,,just a storage building.
Permit was REALLY cheap.

Once it was signed off I did no own electrical (used the hidden PVC entrance conduit I had in the slab).
This little trick was told to me by the county zoning commissioner...LOL...........

There ARE ways to get around some of the "extra" expenses.

Bill E

Lane C.

Not sure if I need a permit or not. You can "get around" things, but if your shack burns down then your home burns down, then starts a grass fire and burns you neighbor's house down, due to faulty or improper wiring, or any other "rigged" system, guess what, you don't get a dime from the insurance. In fact, you will be sued for lots of damages and etc. It can be very costly to save a few bucks!!! hahaha. Now, that's a bit of exaggeration, but cutting corners is something you have to be careful with.

Lane C.

January 14, 2015, 10:42:02 pm #26 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:09:55 pm by Lane C.
Back to some CARF P-51 work. Not too much I can do right now as far as actual work. So, got the fuselage and engine out and looked at what I had to work with on the engine mount. Some blue tape is holding the engine in place. Spinner is in place. To mount like this, the engine will hang out the bottom of the fuselage. I might find an extension that fits to move it back slightly and have less cooling fins in view. This is how it starts for me. I have to start getting some thoughts in my head by trail and error fittings.

Of course, this brings the question of how the muffler will fit. While I don't mind a cooling few fins hanging out, the muffler needs to remain hidden inside the fuselage. So, that opens another can of worms, maybe. But, it looks pretty tight in that area. To me, this is the biggest headache on the plane, any usually any plane - engine mounting.

I have been watching a YouTube series by Hornitpilot on his CARF P-51D. He has a fairly no-nonsense idea of mounting his engine and getting it going. Now, some like to go to great lengths to totally hide their engines from view, and that's OK with me, but I am for making a few concessions on scale appearance since I am not a Top Gun competitor. Once buzzing by at 90 mph, you won't notice if the fins are showing or not. Ha. My emphasis is making them fly good, look good in the air, and have a little pazzazz in the pits.

dlabby

Unique pictures. Everything is silver. I agree you have to fit, think, try, fit some more. Have to think about it and stay ahead. Always thinking ahead.  Lee didn't have any big air flow revelations on mine. Might build a ramp to shoot air down toward engine. I actually bought some flexible plastic tubing at HD. I think I could direct all the nose intake air around directly onto head if necessary.
Darrell Abby

DocBill

Hi Lane,

The fellow that put my Comp ARF P-51 together, placed about a 2 inch or 1.5 inch prop adaptor extension onto the front of the engine.  This allowed him to place the engine aft somewhat, [ much more so than in your picture ].  Come over and take a look at it if you want.

He played with a lot of props for this plane and this 80 engine and found that the 24 x 12 did the best and gave the best speed and pull in a climb.   Right now there is a 26 x 10 on the plane and she is not as fast as with the 24 x 12.

Most of the engine manufactures seem to over state the power of the pull of their engine by a factor of 1 or 2 or so.   Thus, some engine will say we can turn a 32 x 14 and then you find the best prop is a 30 x 12, and at those size props your going thru some money to eventually discover  the best prop. 

Thus for your 80 I would try a Xoar 24 x 12.  Even at this price,  these will set you back some.  I just ordered 2 more 28 x 12's for my 120 on my corsair.

Bill

Lane C.

January 17, 2015, 09:19:20 am #29 Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:44:53 pm by Lane C.
Hi Doc Bill, I need to see what bolt pattern this engine has. It may be same as a Desert Aircraft 6 bolt. If so, there should be extensions available from Sierra. Might be nice to set back at least one inch. Look at hornitpilot's video and you can see how his looked. Not a Top Gun install, as engine shows out the bottom, but certainly usable. I don't want this to be a 2 year project. Although busy with the new house, I'd like to be able to fly the Mustang this year. Dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr583nu5_lY

I have a few props from the big Zero with DA-85 that will likely work. Have to look at my black book to remember what I was running.

I'd like to look at your P-51 a bit closer sometime. Drop me an e-mail with your info and I can setup a time to come by.