• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Hurry Home Honey CARF P-51D

Started by Lane C., August 10, 2014, 07:45:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Got the engine stuffed in today. Moving forward at last.

Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Barry Ponder

Lane C.

Still getting a few bugs worked out. The UP-2 valve that controls the retracts had been sitting with the P-51 while I worked other projects and dried out internally. I did a full-up assembly the other day to test everything and the inner gear doors failed to open on gear retraction. Not good as the main gear come down on the rather fragile inner  clamshell doors. Talked to the guy who makes these valves and he said to take the UP-2 apart and regrease the internals with silicone grease. I did that and now it works perfect. Had a few problems setting up the new DX-18 radio as it's very complex. But, got those bugs worked out as well. Not sure when I will bring it out to the field for engine runs, due to the heat. May be sometime in Sept.

What? No photos? Simply weird. I forgot to get the camera when I took the UP-2 valve apart. Dang.

Lane C.

August 08, 2017, 08:11:20 am #273 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:15:12 am by Lane C.
Since I am not opening the holes in the air intake panel on the lower cowl, I ordered some paint masks for them to give them some life. Pretty simple paint job. Used the Paasche H5 air brush and Behr flat black house paint. Next, I'll give them some flat clear coat.

Paint mask is positioned on the cowl and then masked off all around. Since I used the airbrush, no need to mask-off the entire plane; I just threw an old towel over it.

Add the black paint in light coats.

Finally remove the masking paper down to the paint mask. After using the heat gun on the paint, the mask is carefully peeled off.

Which reveals the final result.

Steve Rogers

Enough painting, looks great, time to fly it.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

That was pretty much the last paint job. Ha. Gotta get Barry over to help me CG it. I weighed it piece by piece and I estimate it will be 38.5 lbs dry - wing = 12.5 lbs and fuselage = 26 lbs. So, that's about 2 lbs paint added. Anything under 40 lbs sounds good to me.

Lane C.

August 11, 2017, 10:56:28 am #276 Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:12:33 am by Lane C.
OK, I mis spoke, there is more painting. Ha. Got some exhaust stains to give her some realism.

Decided that was a bit over the top, and wiped it off to do again. I didn't get the arc that the exhaust makes quite right. Not bad, but since I can start over, I will.

Steve Rogers

I think you also missed the razor nicks on the pilots face. Then you'll be done.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Well, maybe, but I keep trying till I get it right or close to it. Problem with the first try was the airflow pattern. This one is pretty close to photos I have. Although, the first one looked pretty cool to me, I was a bit heavy on the light brown exhaust on the manifold itself. That really doesn't start till about the end of the manifold, and it doesn't really get on the manifold itself.

Steve Rogers

August 13, 2017, 09:23:05 pm #279 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:48:15 pm by Joystick
I see what you're trying to do with that exhaust paint. You can't fool me.

You're trying to cover up the fact that HHH got credit for shooting down a flying saucer during WWII.

Here is the actual untouched photo that shows that a flying saucer kill was recorded on the plane.

Lane C.

That's right! Actually, I am covering up the kill marks that are spaced too far apart. Told the paint mask maker and she's changing them, but too late, I already had them painted. Ha

Still not wild about the exhaust stains. Almost cartoonish. But, they give it a real sense of speed. For a non-artist, not too bad. But a real artist would have made them semi-transparent.

That's the WWII version of HHH you came up with, Steve. The current version is what I modeled upon.

Lane C.

Might be getting close to the final go-round on the exhaust stains. Guys on RCSB keep telling me it should be almost transparent. So, wiped it down once again, started with a very light black pass, eliminated the brown, then added the off-white. After that, hit it with a 3M Scotch Brite pad to soften it down a bit.

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on August 14, 2017, 04:08:00 pm
Might be getting close to the final go-round on the exhaust stains. Guys on RCSB keep telling me it should be almost transparent. So, wiped it down once again, started with a very light black pass, eliminated the brown, then added the off-white. After that, hit it with a 3M Scotch Brite pad to soften it down a bit.

I thought it looked a little dark, I just thought you may have had some major engine trouble.

Lane C.

Steve, here's the right side. Now, I can focus on the CG today. Will assemble and Barry's coming over to help me flip the ole 38 pound girl over on her gear.

Lane C.

August 15, 2017, 08:18:39 pm #284 Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:13:52 am by Lane C.
Barry came over and helped me CG the girl today. She balanced at 29 percent MAC and we added no weight. She started to fall thru at 30 percent MAC. After that, we carried her outside for some photos on the lawn. I am happy with the results.