• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Hurry Home Honey CARF P-51D

Started by Lane C., August 10, 2014, 07:45:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rogers

Looks fantastic!

You need to fire up the engine and get it up to altitude before that pilot melts with all that leather on.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Won't be long! I'll have her out at the next meet for viewing at the least.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Nancy Abby took lots of great photos at the Big Bird Meet 2017. I especially like this one of HHH.

Also this one.

Lane C.

Barry flew HHH today on her maiden voyage. All went well, but need less prop. The 26 x 10 was  too much and needs a 24x10. Couldn't get more that 6000 RPM and that was not enough to really make a great flight. Barry flew a couple of circuits and got her trimmed out, then landed with half flaps. He kept the gear down for the short flight. But, the CG was on the money and she handled fine on all the flight controls. Barry added 5 clicks of down trim and 3 clicks of left. Not bad for a 38 pound warbird on the first flight!

I'll get a couple of new props to test out and run her on the test stand again before flying. I'm looking for 6300 to 6500 RPM.

Now, got that milestone out of the way and can enjoy flying her.

Photo of Happy Barry after the flight. He's happy the engine stayed running! And so am I! Ha

Barry Ponder

Yes. I'm very glad the engine ran good the 26/10 was to much for the 80cc.  Hopefully the prop change will do the trick. We couldn't do a real shake down flight with the engine putting out marginal thrust.  So I left the gear down and trimmed her up. I then made a couple of nice passes and landed her. There we're no surprises she lands very nice like a big Mustang should.  I'm sure if the engine will not do the job Lane will put a DA 85 in her. We can't have a big nice Mustang just lumbering around the field. Ha.  Barry

Steve Rogers

Well done, can't wait to see it fly with the new prop.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

dlabby

Congrats on maiden day of such a pretty bird. :D  Sorry I missed it but look forward to future flights.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, bought some props that are not as big as the 26x10. Got a 23x10, 24x8, and 24x10. Maybe one of these will spin up to the mid 6000's or better! Maybe this heat will go away too.

DocBill

My Dizzy 80 works best with a 24x12 or a 24x10.  Think the 24 x 12 is better. 

Lane C.

Doc Bill, we'll test them all. After the engine breaks in some, might be able to swing the 26x10. But as long as we can get some good RPM's out of one of the other props, that will work. If the 26x10 doesn't work on the 80cc, then it will work on the Zero/DA-100.

Lane C.

Got the P-51 out to the field on Sunday. Ran the 24x10 prop first. It turned 6950 RPM right off the bat. Wow, never expected that much more RPM. But, the vibration of the engine killed the retract servo and commanded the gear to retract. We caught it before it totally collapsed. I won't be using mini servos up front any more. I replaced it with a full sized metal gear hi-torque servo. So, next time out, might get another flight in.

Lane C.

May 04, 2018, 07:52:56 am #296 Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:00:55 am by Lane C.
The other day when about to fly my Top Flite P-47, the Red Wing gas tank had a malfunction. Seems the parts inside the tank had come loose. Red Wing had a neat idea on their tanks, but failed to properly secure the vent and fill lines inside their tanks. The vent line came off and forced me to shut down flying for the day. Now, to the P-51 thread. I also installed the same 32 oz tank in the P-51 Hurry Home Honey. Due to the rather lengthy build and cost, I am pulling the Red Wing tank out and going with a tank setup that Barry suggested. On taking the tank apart, the same thing happened to this tank - the vent and fill lines just fell out.  Wow! Could have been a disaster! PSP Manufacturing makes a special aluminum cap that fits a one liter Fiji water bottle. They also make the vent and fill fittings as well as a special clunk just for that bottle. I ordered the kit and bought a bottle of Fiji water at the local gas/convenience store. PSP has a video on YouTube that show how to do the conversion. Pretty simple. I pulled the Red Wing tank out and placed the Fiji bottle in the P-51. Just so happens it fits perfect. I thought for a while it would take some serious rework but appears not. I'll show a few pics as I make the change. Got one pic below of the new bottle in place without any fittings. You can see why I was concerned about the fit. I made some special plywood brackets to hold the tank from the top of the fuselage. A Dubro tank just wouldn't fit. I also did some conversion on 32 oz vs 1 liter. Turns out that 1 liter = 33.81 oz, so with the small void at the top of the tank with the vent line installed, the actual volume will be about 32 oz of usable fuel. Every little bit helps when running an 80cc engine (the 32 oz Dubro likely would only give 30 oz usable fuel). Two more oz of gas is enough to be a life saver!

Lane C.

R.I.P. Hurry Home Honey 10-18-19

Steve Rogers

Lane C.

Steve, "crash" would cover it! ha. Engine quit on landing approach. It happens.

I cropped a few more pics of HHH's last flight.