• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Composite ARF Spitfire

Started by Sonny Coleman, November 30, 2015, 08:28:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Coleman

November 30, 2015, 08:28:44 am Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:35:50 am by Sonny Coleman
I finally got a little work done on the tail wheel bracket. I've decided to install a sliding canopy. Parts for the sliding canopy are enroute.
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

Finally settled on a paint scheme for the Spitfire: Ray Hanna's MH434
This is the plane you see flying under that low bridge in the mini-series Piece of Cake (The Best Spitfire TV/Movie Out There)
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

November 30, 2015, 09:00:53 am #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:17:29 am by Sonny Coleman
Paint has been ordered from Warbirds Paint, and the graphics package from Callie-Graphics came in last week and they look great!
There may be a Kolm engine installed on this plane even though I already have a brand new DA60 with muffler for it. The Kolm IL100 will most probably be the one selected (2-cylinder inline). The sound of these Kolm engines is pretty awesome. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJSI4GHPG4

Lane C.

That KOLM will be worth waiting for! Keep the pics coming, Sonny!
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Sonny Coleman

After researching the requirements for installing a Kolm inline engine in a Carf Spitfire I've learned that the firewall will have to be cut back almost 6", and Kolm has their own recommended engine mount and air ducting specifically made for the Carf Spit. Not really something I want to do at this point. I'm putting the Kolm option on the backburner for now. The simple DA 60 installation is looking better and better.
Warbird Colors delivered my last order in a timely manner, but this time I have heard nothing from Chuck Graves/Warbird Colors as far as them even receiving my paint order or anything about shipping dates. Grrr..
Some companies have really good customer service, like Desert Aircraft, Callie-Graphics, and Andy Kane (the Carf dealer). There are others that just limbo under the customer service bar of excellence.

Lane C.

Sonny, if you haven't bought an engine yet, stuff an 85cc in there! Three to choose from - DA, DLE, and MVVS (80cc). That would make a truly remarkable "Sonny Pass." ha

Sonny Coleman

Lane,
Check out the firewall/air ducting/servo mount assembly offered by Vogelsang-Aeroscale for the IL155 long nose engine. This is what I need to have the modified firewall and cooling baffles in one assembly all ready to install.
Perfect!

Lane C.

That looks very similar to the ducting setup they have for the P-51. Just a matter of having all the parts and engine and setting it up. Ha.

Sonny Coleman

Now all I need to do is sell a kidney, 1-qt of blood, and offer my first born child to fund the endeavor. ;)
They are very proud of their Kolm engines.

Sonny

Lane C.

And, hope their cooling system actually works! That's one reason I backed out of a KOLM for the P-51.