• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

B-25 Crash

Started by Steve Rogers, July 23, 2016, 04:11:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rogers

July 23, 2016, 04:11:28 pm Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:21:33 pm by Joystick
 James Lindsay, one of our fellow GSWAM members crashed his Hanger 9 B-25 this morning and is looking for a replacement.

Video is at:

https://youtu.be/cZWKyYHQQYk

It was a sad event. The twin engines were running perfectly. As you can hear in the video there was quite a bit of wind, all from the right side of the aircraft, that didn't help the control situation any at all.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Classic takeoff situation where the plane is over-rotated, airspeed rapidly decreases, then stalls, left wing drops, and enters into what would have been a spin if there were altitude to permit. Might have been a bit tail heavy, thus leading to the over rotation. In other words, "Aww Shoot!" Sorry to see the demise of a nice warbird.
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Steve Rogers

July 23, 2016, 09:46:27 pm #2 Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:53:09 pm by Joystick
A lot of factors. I like the "a bit tail heavy", is it possible to add a Go Pro camera on the horizontal stab, about 3.5 oz. without a CG change? Also, a 10-15 mph crosswind from the right which I'm sure helped the torque of the two engines make that left roll even better. It was sickening to watch it hit the dirt.

Here is one for sale:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/hangar-9-Mitchell-B25-/252469080681?hash=item3ac8547269:g:RUQAAOSwyKxXhps~

He is asking $800.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

I'd say the Go Pro was the culprit. I didn't see that first time.

Steve Rogers

You were right on the money with your earlier analysis. You said it may be tail heavy. I mentioned that too before it took off. It seemed odd that the camera would not cause a big cg change. I would expect at least nine oz would be required in the nose to make it balance. Unless it was really nose heavy to start with. That is not a trait that warbirds are noted for.

Lane C.

Yep. VICRC.com sells a CG balancer for $75 which is considerably less than the cost of a new B-25. Good for planes up to about 50 pounds. I've used mine on 5 or 6 planes thus far and worked perfect every time.

Steve Rogers

I built the "Vanessa" balancer for zero cost. It works great. I used parachute cord, so I wouldn't use it for planes over 1,200 lbs.

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on July 24, 2016, 10:28:05 pm
Yep. VICRC.com sells a CG balancer for $75 which is considerably less than the cost of a new B-25. Good for planes up to about 50 pounds. I've used mine on 5 or 6 planes thus far and worked perfect every time.

You rich guys have all the cool toys. I would need to eat a lot of cat food to be able to afford one of those balancers.

Lane C.

More like a poor man after building a CARF P-51. Or, getting poorer by the month, that is.