• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Sullivan Starter Repair

Started by Lane C., October 03, 2016, 05:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

October 03, 2016, 05:28:32 PM Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:36:22 PM by Lane C.
As I don't know where to post this, so this forum is close enough for an article on fixing that crappy starter switch on Sullivan Starters! After all, it runs on batteries. Here's the pics of what I did today for my 24 volt DynaTron (say that to yourself with a bit of echo chamber effect kind of like saying JUMBO-TRON). Anyway, bought a horn button at the auto-store and made it work. Works on the bench but haven't taken it to the field yet. I see no reason why it shouldn't work perfect.

Hope it works fine, lasts a long time, won't rust, bust or gather dust. As seen on TV. Not sold in stores. Limited offer. Second one only ONE DOALLR with small postage and handling charge. Sorry, no COD's. Offer void in some states. Money back guarantee if not delighted. Not responsible for personality changes. May cause death, near-sightedness, bleeding out of all orifices, pregnancy, heart attack, erections, and God forbid, a near death experience!

Pics might explain it all. Simply eliminating the old switch, adding the new switch, and it works. Easier said than done, but it's not that hard. Steve Rogers is possibly the only one who will understand this mess without explanation. So, please direct all questions to Steve when you see him at the field. Thank you.

Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on October 03, 2016, 05:28:32 PM
As I don't know where to post this, so this forum is close enough for an article on fixing that crappy starter switch on Sullivan Starters! After all, it runs on batteries. Here's the pics of what I did today for my 24 volt DynaTron (say that to yourself with a bit of echo chamber effect kind of like saying JUMBO-TRON). Anyway, bought a horn button at the auto-store and made it work. Works on the bench but haven't taken it to the field yet. I see no reason why it shouldn't work perfect.

Hope it works fine, lasts a long time, won't rust, bust or gather dust. As seen on TV. Not sold in stores. Limited offer. Second one only ONE DOALLR with small postage and handling charge. Sorry, no COD's. Offer void in some states. Money back guarantee if not delighted. Not responsible for personality changes. May cause death, near-sightedness, bleeding out of all orifices, pregnancy, heart attack, erections, and God forbid, a near death experience!

Pics might explain it all. Simply eliminating the old switch, adding the new switch, and it works. Easier said than done, but it's not that hard. Steve Rogers is possibly the only one who will understand this mess without explanation. So, please direct all questions to Steve when you see him at the field. Thank you.

Sure that mod will work, but I prefer the starter switch from an old 1954 Buick. It can handle up to 300 Amps of current.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Haha. I found some hi current switches, but they don't fit on the starter that well. You'd have to hold the starter in one hand, and the switch the other to make them work. It's always a compromise.

Steve Rogers

You put them on the floorboard, just like on the old Ford.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Well folks, maybe Steve didn't understand this like I thought he would. haha.

Steve Rogers

October 05, 2016, 03:15:01 PM #5 Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:17:35 PM by Joystick
Sure I do. You just need to make an old Ford floorboard to mount the starter on. How hard can that be? You have a huge workshop with every tool known to mankind. Even Tim Taylor is jealous of you.

The floorboard will also allow you to get good traction in wet grass when you're starting those big engines at the flying field. It's a win-win for everyone.

Lane C.

I suppose I'll have to go the Lee Rice Route and buy an engine with a built-in electric starter. Easy peasy. Cheap in the long run. Now, do they make a 55cc size with E-Starter?

Steve Rogers

Lane C.

Then, I'd have to buy a new 18 channel radio as I have used all DX-7 channels on other things. This is getting expensive! And of course, one starter setup for each plane. Whew!

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on October 06, 2016, 08:03:12 AM
Then, I'd have to buy a new 18 channel radio as I have used all DX-7 channels on other things. This is getting expensive! And of course, one starter setup for each plane. Whew!

Hey, Christmas is almost here and you deserve a new radio, . . . . . well, as far as Santa knows, he's busy watching all the rug runners.

Lane C.

Wow, speaking of Christmas, I have an idea - not Toys for Tots, but TOYS FOR LANE. I promise to FULLY appreciate all $$$ donations and will spend those $$$ on RC toys ONLY.

Bearcat

Will be interesting to see now the horn button works.  Suspect the average car  horn draws an amp or two and the sulivan draws 30 to 40amps.  might try soldering a small buton of high temp silver solder on the original contacts to prevent them welding themselves together .   Just a thought.  Max

Max Ficken

Lane C.

Max, I think this is rated at 10 amps if it is like another brand that gives their specs. I'll field test it soon. It is easier to trigger than the old setup, if nothing else. I've never cared for that rubber tube setup that Sullivan came up with anyway.

Lane C.

That switch is not going to work. Welded itself on the first use. I will look for a 30 amp toggle switch and try to attach it to the starter. Worth a try though. Idea was good. Hardware was not.

Steve Rogers

Just get four of the 10 Amp switches and wire them in parallel. That will give you 40 Amps which should be plenty for the starter motor. You will need to be coordinated to make sure that you close and open them all at the same time to prevent the welding problem. One for each finger should be good.

Or you can get the old Ford starter switch. I know my first post on that said Buick, but that was just the chemo talking, I mean Ford, the Buick starter was crap.