• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

FPV start up...I have succumbed into FPV... yes "Quadding" ...wait yep ...yep

Started by Paul Lange, March 31, 2017, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lange

Well...it's your fault:

(1) Fatshark Dominator V3 HDMI 720P 16:9 image DVR swap NTSC/PAL Goggles
(1) 1800 mAh battery with LED indicator for Fatshark Dominator V3
(1) FatShark 5G8 32ch Diversity Receiver Module V2 w/Race Band and Dual SMA Connectors
(1) ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz A/V Transmitter
(1) FatShark 700TVL CMOS FPV Camera NTSC/PAL with Pan and Tilt
(1) FatShark Trinity Head Tracking Module
(2) ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Antenna Set RHCP (SMA Connector)
(1) SpiroNet 8dBi RHCP Mini Patch Antenna
(2) RP-SMA Antenna 200mm Extension Cables with Thru Hole Mounting
(1) Fatshark Camera A/V Cable (360mm)
(1) SMA Male - SMA Female 180mm Aerial Extension Fatshark/ImmersionRC Compatible

I have no idea how to set all this stuff up, dipswitch setting, channel selections, transmitter setting etc etc etc etc........or even if I have all the correct hardware components to get myself rigged up

I have succumbed to the dark side.....However I will not be quadding'....will only use goggles in hopes I can get Kathryn involved to wear the gear whilst I fly fixed wing.  Also should be fun to get the post flight FPV video.  Perhaps with help of the field friends....some day I'll try true FPV flight with a slow flying CUB.

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Mike Kopf

Me too Paul.
I got FatShark Attitude V3 Headset.
250mw VTx Fatshark V3.
RunCam Owl Plus Camera.
I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to get it to work and get no image in the headset. Driving me nuts. Not a lot of guidance online for troubleshooting.

And on top of it all I just ordered Eachine Wizard Quad racer. I have truly turned to the dark side.

Paul Lange

From what I have been reading there are several things to ensure compatibility.

Antennas need to be the same in example: LHCP / RHCP....this is left and right.  Can't use a lefty with a righty and visa versa.
Must be on same radio channel of course
Some radio's must be turned on in a proper sequence to FatShark products

I too expect a full blown learning curve before "Seeing" anything.

Good to know you acquired similar equipment.....will definitely need to share info and often.  My stuff starts trickling in today and through the week as I procured components from HobbyKing, GetFVP, Flite-Test, MotionRC, EBay, Amazon and RCPapa

Paul H Lange

Paul Lange

After reading all the "on line" manuals I could find.....and source purchasing all of my designed hardware components (including a stereo to MONO jack plug for the Spektrum radio)....

I have FPV video with head-tracking up and running.....took me about 5minutes of hook up, snapping in components, screwing on antennae, plugging in transmitter and headtracking to a test receiver

WOW ......very neat.....I now see the light....er video !!!!!!

Uh.....is this success or my demise?

Paul H Lange

Paul Lange

After much self restraint, denial, contemplation, repose and compulsion......I have ordered a complete Eachine Wizard x220 Quad RTF.

I did not realize the pull of the dark side would be so strong after receiving and hooking up my FPV system intended for fixed wing.  The video clarity in the goggles as set up in the back yard on my Tiger Moth on the ground is excellent.....and I was able to keep the video in full pan and tilt active walking down the street a few hundred yards away.

I have never flown under the hood......but the science of the hardware components to an active working system is now so diminished......it's easy to get hooked up and running.....so the hardest part now is merely to fly.

The next natural step after acquiring a complete FPV system is to embrace multi-rotor .....thank goodness you only need one of these things

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

Paul,

The Eachine Wizard is a very capable 200 class racing quad that comes with most everything you need to start flying FPV quads. One thing I had to do for my sons Wizard is turn down the pitch and roll PID values (in BetaFlight), which will make the quad much more docile for beginners. As your flying skills build you can go back and make the Wizard more pitch/roll sensitive by adjusting the associated PID values. Tanner usually brings out a laptop with BetaFlight on it for quad tuning purposes. We'll help you get setup with BetaFlight and assist in adjusting the pitch/roll PID value changes if you want.

Also, the Wizard is a very tough little quad, but you WILL break props. Stock up on your props and batteries. Most 250 class racing quad pilots are using the 5" 3 blade props. Team RACEKRAFT 5051 5" TRI-BLADE PROP - are durable high quality props - $3.99 a set (4-props) http://www.readytoflyquads.com/propellers/team-racekraft-props.

A good beginner battery would be a 1300mAh 3S 45C+ rating battery with a XT-60 connector. As you progress you will want to go with 4S batteries which have more Umph on punch-outs.

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Paul Lange

Thanks Sonny - ordered up extra props and 3s 45c 1300 XT60 LiPo's today!!  And certainly appreciate the learning curve support......especially on the quad set up.....essentially why I purchased as RTF with the transmitter & Eachine Wizard x2200.....should be lots of online video support and....the tx/rx radio's are matched. 

Also ordered up a matching set of the two smaller 5.8g TBS Triumph 5.8GHz CP FPV Antenna Set (RP-SMA) ...for video. 
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html?frequency=141&p=3

The other antennae I have are standard SMA (Not RP-SMA) so I needed one of each......don't like the idea of mismatched directional to Omni antenna too ....will switch antennae when flying fixed wingers

Paul H Lange

dlabby

Holy prop buster, Batman!! You dark aliens speak odd language. Oh well, less crowded on the old fashioned runway.
Darrell Abby

Sonny Coleman

Paul,

A good video antenna (I use) is the Aomway 5.8GHz FPV 4 Leaf Clover AV Transmission RHCP Antenna - Blue or Red with Canopy available with SMA and RP-SMA connectors $16.29 a pair from Banggood: http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-5_8GHz-FPV-4-Leaf-Clover-AV-Transmission-RHCP-Antenna-1-Pair-p-961730.html

These are much less expensive and work just as good as the higher end circular polarized 5.8gHz antennas like the TBS Triumph, Blue Beam Ultra, and Fat Shark brands.
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin