• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Paul Lange Quad base A1-5865 / Successful Back Yard test flight

Started by Paul Lange, May 03, 2017, 09:27:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lange

Flew mine as the very 1st quad ever this evening. (not counting Ed's super duper flying hootis')

1. Arm / Disarm switch: Shuts down from switch no matter what
2. Airmode 100% all modes
3. Two modes: Angle & Acro
4. Wired in simple buzzer....only activates when transmitter is turned off and as a low voltage setting threshold.
5. RX antenne wires 90degrees: One on top parallel with FPV antenna / One on bottom facing rearward parallel to the bottom frame.

Test flight this evening was pretty neat....hovers excellent in Airmode/Angle mode. Super qick response flying a box pattern in 20ft square....it's a mean little thang aint it!

Can anybody tell me what the two Voltages are on the stock FlySky transmitter....is it the overall transmitter batt voltage and the transmitter radio batt voltage?

Also I am not able to change FPV channel on the fly.....how you guys achieving this??

For some reason I can no longer post photo's....so here is a link to RCGroups.com web page with photos:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2720753-Eachine-Wizard-X220-%28Under-construction%29/page147#post37441254

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Paul Lange

I damaged by Wizard by reverse reversing the prop nut on one of the reverse spinning props.....found no motor replacements available.

Ordered a second Wizard for parts.

Decided to order up a RunCam camera upgrade and user button friendly channel toggle enabled VTX while waiting on the new quad to arrive.

Changing out the Camera involves delicate soldering as the RunCam camera cables are not compatable......so while doing that I also wired up V-Batt onto the board to provide onscreen live time voltage of the Wizard......I did not solder in the wire for Audio.

The Plug-N-Play VTX has not arrived yet......this will be a simple swap that will not require any disassembly for soldering as no soldering will be required.

I swapped out the damaged motor shaft/housing and tested the Wizard for smoke and video.....back yard testing completed - all clear for weed wackin' crashing.....I now have another set of stock props to eat up

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

Paul,

So you are the new Eachine Wizard spare parts guy huh? You do have a whole Wizard full of goodies, minus one motor, to rob parts from. hehe Just kidding.

The stock FPV camera on the Wizards are not the best, but if the stock camera lens is replace with a $12.00 new lens the field of view can be increased to 170 degrees and colors are much more vivid. I picked up four of these and installed them on some of my better quads. Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015EE7G58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Vicdozia 2.5mm Replacement 170 Degree Wide Angle Camera DV Lens for Gopro HD Hero, Hero 2 3, SJCAM SJ4000 SJ5000, HS1177 Runcam Swift FPV Cameras)
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Paul Lange

Very cool,

I thought about doing this but figured the wider lens and brighter light would not retrofit to the stock camera board and.....the lens would not fit the stock housing!!

I did fire up the Wizard to hover some in the back yard last night and the new RunCam video is very good.

I am many hours away from becoming a proficient Quadder.....and most likely that more off from FPV flight capable.  I need lots of stick time on these things.

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

Picked up a Tattu 1300mAh 4S 95C racing battery. I'll see what kind of UMPH the new battery has this coming weekend.
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

dlabby

Wish you guys had been at the LiPo battery program Tuesday night. It was pretty informative. David Hill and Dennis were there; maybe they can fill you in on local source of good LiPo's if you don't already have it.
Darrell Abby

Paul Lange

Can we get a list of our local LiPo vendor/suppliers on the site perhaps.

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

Paul,

Yes, I think we should post what batteries we find to have the most bang for the buck here in the Quad Forum. Having a local battery vendor with high quality batteries at a reasonable price would be great. Experience has shown the price range for a Tattu 1300mAh 4S 75C battery goes from $21.00 to $30+ each (with free shipping). The 95C (same mAh) batteries range from $32.00 - $40+.

I've been testing quad batteries for months now and found that its real (too) easy to ruin low C batteries (40C and under) when pushing quad motors into the continuous 50+ amp range. I've recently puffed 2-MultiStar quad batteries after racing Tanner to the point they were hot to the touch and they looked like they were going to pop from internal pressure at any moment. I disposed of those batteries in a hurry.

I've found the best deals so far on 1300mAh 4S 75C on Ebay and have been satisfied with the performance of the Tattu brand batteries and the quality of the batteries in general. Amazon has the Tattu batteries as well, but their prices as substantially higher.

Paul Lange

Flew seven batteries in the evening gales....the wind was howling.  It was interesting to "hover" the Wizard in Horizon mode...as it was being blown down wind very hard.  Flying in ACRO mode was very different especially trying to fly figure eights in the gales. 

I found it nearly impossible to fly as the orientation for forward trajectory was only possible by seeing the green LED's....which are completely lost as the Wizard faces any forward position towards the pilot.  Additionally the wind would have it downwind by 50yards in a second if the Wizard was pointed in any position other than against the wind.

I also found myself in compromising position for being sawed in half by the quad trying to beat back up wind or....during down wind turns.

I think I am now ready for FPV at the club field now that I now have at least a couple of batteries of stick time muscle memory on this thing

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

I find when the quad is in Angle or Horizon mode I can really tell because when I let go stick pressure the quad tries to self level, which is irritating when trying to keep some momentum going down the track with the nose down hauling the mail. Acro mode is actually WAY easier once acclimated to.

When flying line of site in a closed in location I fly angle mode because, like you said, its easy to lose orientation flying a square box like a quad. Once the quad is 30' or 40'+ feet away its a crap-shoot as to where the front of the quad is.

Once forward flight is established flying FPV its almost like steering an airplane around except the rudder (yaw) is much more important when making coordinated tight turns. I feel much more comfortable flying FPV than LOS.

Paul Lange

Yep...well stated....I can hover and turn OK in ACRO mode line of sight...landing is good.  It's is not practical to fly in ACRO mode where the orientation is NOT visable.

I can readily see while flying FPV -  Angle and Horizon Mode will definitely throw you off.....so I think I am ready for some CLOSE FPV training.  I went out for a 5min lunch session at the open park area at the end of my street....lost the camera lens.  I deployed the stock lens on the RunCam and ordered a couple new lenses from the link you provided.

This quad is really giving me some challenges......

Paul H Lange

Paul Lange

I flew back to back flights on my Eachine Wizard x220 yesterday (05-11-17) from 6:00-8:00.....for whatever reason....my FPV FatShark Dominator 3 goggles had horrible video....whereas my little cheapo mini hand held screan was crystal clear.  So I flew looking at the screen in "Level" mode for nearly two hours.

I had to overcome the thought of crashing into myself.....or crashing in general while looking into the monitor as the sound of the quad did not match where I perceived it should be and ....which way it was flying. 

As Ed Couch has stated "You must be able to fully and solely trust your FPV equipment and aircraft"....I found  - once you can "let go" flying via camera is a little easier.

I was flying over the quad track from the Helicopter shed.....must have clipped a high tree branch (Ghost) and crashed.  Yes the beeper I soldered onto the board led me straight to the Wizard....right in the middle of the track!

I did NOT have much success flying in ACRO mode as the winds were pretty stiff......but I did prove the "Toughness" of this thing several times - LOL

I am pretty confident flying line of sight and FPV in Level/Horizon mode.....but have a long way to go flying in ACRO mode.

Paul H Lange

Sonny Coleman

I have to wonder what is going on with those Dominator goggles. Are there lines and/or snow in the goggle image or is the picture quality just bad?

Some things to check:

Be sure you are in the 2D mode
Adjust the contrast/Brightness Control on the top of the goggles
Verify your channel, sometimes you can select a channel that is so close frequency wise that the camera image appears, but in poor quality.

You have one of Fatshark's best goggles in the Dominator v3s. I love the picture quality on mine.

Paul Lange

I did find an anomaly today.....

My El Cheapo mini screen find the video and projects very clear on Band C channel 5...
The FatShark Dominator 3 Goggles will auto search and select Band C channel 7.....but is completely washed out via grey matter spatter and lines.....Punching through a manual select process I find the FatShark will have crystal clear video on Band A Channel 1 (5865)

Paul H Lange

Mike Kopf

I need to learn all the channels too.
I flew yesterday at the track and went fairly fast (or at least I thought I was).
I am getting the hang of it fairly quick.
You are right Sonny when you say that you really need to be comfortable on rudder to really hug the corners.
I am fine with the stock camera on my Wizard. It seems fine to me.
I don't have much to compare it to but it seems ok for now.