• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Paul Lange Quad base A1-5865 / Successful Back Yard test flight

Started by Paul Lange, May 03, 2017, 09:27:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lange

I was finally able to hover and turn.....go aways out....figure eights around a tree flying in these heavy winds in Acro Mode via Line of Sight.  I'd like to get more stick time in flying in ACRO Mode before going all out FPV. 

I have found hovering and moving all around a tree ladened park a couple of inches off the ground is very satisfying....challenging to do in stiff winds.

I seem to fair much better in left hand turns than right hand turns.

The greatest satisfaction is being able to head way out and make a box....returning back and stopping like a Star Wars Fighter to balance again in a hover....turn around and do it again.....inches off the ground in high winds.

I think I made a break through today......also hoping all this quad time does not adversely affect fixed wing reactions!!!!

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Barry Ponder

Paul. That's funny how people are different. I absolutely can not fly line of sight very far away say 10 feet. Ha ha. But under the hood I can fly anywhere as long as the video comes through. I have no problem at all and it's a blast to be a bird.   
Barry

Paul Lange

Aye 10:4 Barry....this evening was my very 1st FPV flight on the Eachine X220 Wizard.  I logged 13 successful FPV flights making figure eights above the Heli-Port pad as a marker.  Can't tell how low I was .....perhaps no lower than the tin roof top of the pits area.  So my next  phase is to get low and stay low - LOL

It is fun aint' it!!!

Paul H Lange

Barry Ponder

I'm still in the flying high stage. The low flying close to the ground kind of gives me a headache. I'm sure I will get used to it. For now I'm a bird. or something. ha ha ha ha .......Barry 

Paul Lange

LOL - We are two birds of the same feather.......

I am also learning to overcome a strong feeling of flying into myself during FPV ......noting that landing at my feet...what seemed to be 5-6ft away was only 5-6inches!!!  Also, when cutting figure eights over the Heli-Pad square , I am still a bit "Jittery" as the sound of my Wizard seems to be very close -  when in fact it's 10-15yards away even during a botched out of shape pass.

I set my buzzer beeper to start sounding very early into the battery depletion (11v).....thus providing me a sonar blip to confirm my speed as I round the corners.....however to other participants at the field this would be very annoying....so the alarm is configured to sound at or near the (3.6v) in the company of others.

I am finding the draw of FPV is very consuming.....and fun.  I am hoping Quad proficiency under FPV will translate to Fixed wing FPV ....there is only one way to see how that goes !!!

Paul H Lange

Paul Lange

I am now much better at line of sight free flight with the Eachine Wizard x220........also feel comfortable flying full on FPV and hovering at nearly any heading.

This is such an eerie thing to see flying slow in the evening sky....but very challenging to judge orientation flying Line of Sight due to its symmetrical form and small size.  The LED's on the bottom feet are only visible when nearly directly overhead or when the aircraft is tracking aggressively away from the pilot as the back end is elevated.

I deployed Green LED strips on the forward arms and Red LED strips on the rear arms powered by the flight battery balance plug.....affording excellent night time flying via Line of Sight....very fun to fly slow and ......EEEEERIEE.....woooooooooo

Paul H Lange