• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Lazy Ace Biplane build from coroplast

Started by Joystick, August 25, 2017, 01:04:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lange

Outstanding Master Coroplast...!!  I wonder if the cowling may effect cooling and......if it will change flight characteristic in any way.  Please report observations as you see 'em.....

I have about 10minutes of stick time since the time change.......might get to fly this week end....something maybe.

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Joystick

I don't think there will be any change in the cooling, the engine head is completely exposed and the bottom of the cowl is open.

As far as flight characteristics go, this plane is already so draggy, a little more won't make much difference.

It may make it slow down more on landing.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Joystick

December 21, 2017, 06:05:48 am #77 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:09:21 am by Joystick
I think there is enough of the cylinder exposed to the airflow that cooling should not be a problem.

Hope to get in some flights today if the weather cooperates.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Joystick

December 23, 2017, 11:22:38 am #78 Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:25:08 am by Joystick
I did manage to get in two flights before the weather turned to winter.

The engine did not run well at all with the cowl on. It kept dying due to fuel starvation and would only run about half of the normal RPM.

I took the cowl off and it ran great again.

Seems like the cowl was causing a pressure problem with the carb vent. I soldered a short brass tube on it and ran a short length of fuel tubing through the firewall so the carb could get static air.

The old saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is alive and well.

Ground run today was good. Will try to fly later today when the winds die down and the air warms up.
CHECK SIX

Joystick

Quote from: Paul Lange on December 19, 2017, 05:32:02 pm
Outstanding Master Coroplast...!!  I wonder if the cowling may effect cooling and......if it will change flight characteristic in any way.  Please report observations as you see 'em.....

I have about 10minutes of stick time since the time change.......might get to fly this week end....something maybe.

Paul H Lange

Oh no, I'm afraid that hell has officially froze over. Paul was right about the cowl and the cooling and I was wrong.

I cut some slots in it and hopefully that will be enough to cool it down.
CHECK SIX

Paul Lange

I have lurked around the grounds of GSWAM think tank discussions regarding airflow and pressure dams.  Noting often times gaping frontal scoops in the cowling provided no airflow....thus the curious observation of a total different motor performance with and without the cowl. 

My keen sense of scrutiny and disbelief coupled with a measure of "That sounds totally insane" sometimes matches the amount of colorful metaphors when builders deploy the cowling as the last step in the flight tuning of thier respective builds...and the motor performance is significantly poorer than when operating sans cowling.

The dynamic principles of air pressure and flow as presented in many lawn chair discussions peaked my spirit while flying my electric's at the flight line.  Too which I have observed.....99% of my electric foamies have huge holes in the rear fuselage to create vacuum and allow forced air through the fuselage and over the electrical components from the motor cowling......perhaps the existential discussions of airflow is simply more down to earth than previously thought.

So I wondered how the mighty Coroplast Bipe powerplant would do in a highly pressurized static airflow scenario.......now we wait to see the modifications  to mediate such a stuffy scenario

Paul H Lange
The 90inch Carbon Cub is ready for maiden
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Joystick

I have built hundreds of planes, glow, electric and gas, and never had a problem with overheating like this one. 

Usually a large opening at the front and a small one at the rear creates the most problems.

This one has the entire bottom open and all of the cooling fins are exposed. Must be getting a heat buildup at the top. I cut some slots and will give that a try. If that don't work, it may be time to change the cowl design.
CHECK SIX

Joystick

December 30, 2017, 01:49:19 pm #82 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:58:33 pm by Joystick
This new cowl should take care of the cooling problems.

Thanks to the cold weather, I managed to get some work done.

I'd still rather be flying.
CHECK SIX

Joystick

Got the Aux channel hooked up to do some b**b dropping. Should be fun.
CHECK SIX

dlabby

Great looking bomb! It doesn't have sarin or chlorine gas in it does it? DOD may want to inspect it. Rest assured I won't report it.
Darrell Abby

Joystick

The bomb drop mechanism works great, but the bomb is really hard to see. The color is only part of the problem. It needs to be a lot bigger.

I was looking for a bigger one, but they are hard to find. I thought about building one, but that is also hard. Finding a round nose and good round tube that is durable, cheap, lightweight, cheap, available, and cheap is not easy.

When I was out in the hot sun today and close to passing out from heat stroke, it hit me. I can make something like a Dardo 2C glide bomb out of coroplast! It doesn't need to be round it can be rectangular, have folding wings, and be made from yellow and blue coroplast, which I already have.

All I need to do now is design and build it. At least I won't need to cover it or paint it.

And it will be cheap. Wow, when I said that in my head, it sounded just like Lawrence.
CHECK SIX

Joystick

Had an interesting thing happen on my biplane a few days ago on flight number 147.

The HD-1501MG servo on my rudder went from zero degrees on takeoff to about 20 degrees right shortly after takeoff. I did have one do that last year on my elevator, it went to about a 20 degree up elevator position and I replaced the servo.

I checked the rudder servo torque to see if any of the gears were stripped, everything seemed okay. I just repositioned the control arm and flew another flight. The right and left range were not changed, the movement was okay in both directions. It worked okay and zero didn't change again. I'll replace the servo before my next flight.

Seems strange that the servos would do this. Has anyone else had this happen?
CHECK SIX

Joystick

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a DLE 40cc Twin for the bipe.

It will look great with the cylinders poking out on each side of the fuselage. The plane does not need the extra power, but it will be fun and I've never had a twin before.
CHECK SIX

Lane C.

Steve, woulda looked way cooler with a Moki 5 cyl radial!
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Joystick

I'm not rich like you warbird guys, I'd have to eat cat food for several years to be able to afford one of those.
CHECK SIX