• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Lazy Ace Biplane build from coroplast

Started by Joystick, August 25, 2017, 01:04:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Yes, but no longer "rich" as these toys make us poor. And, also very humble. I also eat cat food. Ha
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Joystick

Got twelve 10 minute flights on the new DLE 40cc Twin engine so far, a total of 162 flights for the plane. It is my favorite plane now for sure.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Joystick

My DLE 40 Twin engine has not had good compression from the start. It did pick up a little but not nearly as much as the DLE 35 that I took off the plane at flt #150. I had a total of 248 flights on the plane today. I decided that with 16 hours of run time on this engine, it isn't getting any better.

I had a Bowman ring for a DLE 20 from a couple of years ago that I never put on an engine, so I just got a second ring and put them on today. The compression is way better already and I haven't even run the engine.

One thing I noticed during the ring swap was that the right cylinder had a lot of carbon on it and none on the left.

Can't wait to see how it runs when the weather cools off a little.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Joystick

I couldn't wait for the weather to cool off. It did get down to 103, so I gave the rings a 5 min break in time and put one 10 min flight on the plane.

It has way more power than it did this morning before the ring change. It was about 87 degrees when I flew at sunup and I couldn't get good vertical performance. This afternoon I had unlimited vertical at 103 degrees. The hesitation on takeoff at the midrange transition was also gone.

When I replaced the rings, I set the needles back to the factory setting and didn't adjust them yet, so the engine is probably running a tad rich.

Love the new rings.
CHECK SIX

dlabby

Darrell Abby