• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., March 01, 2020, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

She's on the way back up! Assembling for real this time.

Mounted the engine, sub wing, and gear, glued on the elevators, and etc. Still need to add the upper wing and run the aileron leads up there. And, after that, I need to make a stand to haul the plane out to the field and back - just a support to get the weight off the gear and keep it in place in the truck bed.
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

Lane C.

Kept at the assembly and finally got her dialed in.

Lane C.

I got a little more formal on photos this morning and took the young lady outside.

Lane C.

I'm sorry to announce that the DVII is not going to fly any time soon. After adding a huge amount of lead on the nose to get a safe CG, the amount of lead and weight of the model is beyond making a safe landing. Not sure it would fly that well either. So, I may remake the fuselage to get the weight off the tail end and overall as well. Just too much nitrate dope, grey primer, white paint, and clear coat, not to mention three servos on the tail end. So, while I decide what to do, I am hanging her in the living room for decoration. I will say that the DVII came out just as I had forseen 6 months ago - bright white paint with black markings in Herman Goering's final DVII at the end of the war.

Steve Rogers

Looking good,you did a great job.

It would be a shame to see it just be a hangar queen.

I don't know how much your servos weigh, but if you can get them forward, or on the CG, that will save you almost a pound of nose weight.

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

June 13, 2020, 11:06:41 AM #65 Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:11:03 AM by Lane C.
Hi Steve, it's not just the servos. It's several things. But likely the heaviest part is the paint. Three coats of nitrate on the bare balsa, then the Koverall, then three more coats of nitrate on the Koverall, then grey primer, then white latex paint, then markings, then clear coat. I just overdid the paint on the back end. I've been building for over 30 years, and this is the first time I've built an unflyable model! One day I might remake a fuselage and reuse the wings and all other parts. Meanwhile, she's a nice looking addition to the LR. But Steve, I am finally working the TF RTC 86 inch F6F Hellcat. I am not going to glass and paint but will use OraTex and only paint a few things like the cowl and gear doors. This will keep weight down and make the DLE-55 propel the Devil out of her! Might have her ready for one of the meets this Fall. BRIGHT ORANGE covering! Like the last Hellcat I had in 2013.

dlabby

That is one beautiful, white airplane.  I am sorely disappointed. What a paint lesson for all of us!
 Now to the Hellcat: glad you are getting to it. Hope you can take a look at mine before deciding on the covering/paint. It would be sinful to not use your paint/finishing skills. Don't let the D VII scare you off. Just my humble opinion.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, Today, I took a long good look at your Hellcat! I tell ya, it's almost too perfect to fly! Very sweet paint scheme and all the little details. Flew nicely too. I don't think I could duplicate the high level of finish of your Hellcat. Lane