• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dlabby

Darrell Abby

Lane C.

I need to make a faring under the wing where it touches the fore and aft fuselage. It's a bit complicated being that the wing is in two parts and the fairing needs to be split in the middle. Not exactly sure how I will accomplish this yet.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Joystick

Two parts. Glue them to the wings.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

There ya go, simple as that! ha. I wish it were that easy.

Lane C.

Used some of the left-over balsa from the wingtip to create the underwing fill. Didn't like the first version, so trimmed it a bit to make it look better. Still working it. Nothing glued on yet as I might scrap it and start over. Ha.

Joystick

Okay, four parts. Glue them to the wings.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Barry Ponder

Way to direct him Steve. Everyone needs a boss. Ha
Ha ha ha.  >:(
Barry.
Ps
The HELL BITCH ll is Looking good.

dlabby

Looks like you are doing what first came to my mind. Sections of soft balsa carved and sanded to shape and mounted (glued) to the wing bottoms and glassed. Good luck.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

December 07, 2018, 08:16:03 am #203 Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:26:00 am by Lane C.
Hi Darrell, if this were a 1 piece wing it would be much easier to make that fill. And, not really exactly sure how it's supposed to look. I think what I have is close to correct based on the few photos I've seen. That balsa "hump" needs a bit of flattening out to make it a bit more subtle. It won't really show much on the assembled model after painting, so, not going to have a gran mall seizure over it! haha. And, if I put the centerline gas bag on there, it will draw the attention rather than the fill area. Meister has the Model 21/22 gas tank in fiberglass for $75 I seem to recall. It's the smallest details that seem to take the longest!

And one more thought, sometimes you have to know WHEN TO QUIT messing with it! You can go from not too bad to totally wrong pretty quick with balsa. And once it's glued down, LEAVE IT ALONE! Make all your changes while you can before gluing.

And, the thing that makes this part hard to get correct is that the Meister is a flat bottom wing vs semi-symmetrical on the full scale Zero. It changes the look of the bottom area. The other Zeros I have had are almost dead flat in that transition area between the wing and fuselage. Makes the model easier to build for the ARF factory.

Lane C.

Yesterday was a rare day that I did ZERO on the ZERO! Ha. Today I moved forward to the other fill area and kinda figured it out as I went. This part will stay on the fuselage and get glassed over for strength. Only half done with it. That's the scoop for the oil cooler.

Lane C.

Finished the front fairing today and epoxied it to the fuselage. Then laid some heavy glass cloth over that area with Z-Poxy.

Lane C.

Well, seems we had a slight interruption of service, so I'll try to catch up on progress made. Got the forward fairing finished and the air scoop for the oil cooler glued on. Then moved to glassing the wing halves. I bought a 30 foot roll of glass cloth from Ziroli and it's nice material. I covered the left top and bottom wing half in one piece and used Z-Poxy to glue it down. Z-Poxy is really the best finishing resin. Did the bottom first, then the top. Once one wing half was done and dry, I put the wing back on the fuselage to look it over and take a few pics. Results speak for themselves. Zeke is 85 inches nose to tail as she sits, and add another 6 inches with the spinner later on. Now, I need to glass the right wing half and then the ailerons. After glassing, then goes to primer, but no hurry on that due to the cold weather setting in. Got things like gear doors to fit and other items on the fuselage to add. Lots of details from this point forward.

Lane C.

Moved to the bottom right wing today with the glassing. Thinned the Z-Poxy with a small amount of SIG Butyrate thinner to make it go farther and penetrate the balsa better. One more side to glass, then the ailerons.

Lane C.

Got the top right wing half glassed today. Then, put the wing back on the fuselage for grins. Also looked at the gaps along the fillets, both sides. Still need to fill those gaps, even though they aren't major - I just don't want to allow gaps between the wing and fillets which could permit wing movement (increasing dihedral angle) under high-g maneuvers. The removable spar, fillets, rear wing bolts, and forward "tongue" all work together to keep the wing intact.

Lane C.

December 18, 2018, 06:01:17 pm #209 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:08:12 pm by Lane C.
Got to the gap filling today, between the fillets and wing. Used Hysol. Sanded the underside of the fillets with 80 grit, wiped with alcohol, then applied the Hysol. Covered the wing with Saran Wrap first. Takes 24 to 48 hours to really dry hard. Will sand off excess later.

Once the wing was on and tightened down, it squished out the sides. Took a finger and pushed it back in the gaps. Hysol is Thixotropic, I think it's called. Which means, it won't run due to gravity. It's used on aircraft and autos. Expensive glue, but one of the best. It's basically a two-part epoxy and it comes with a caulk gun type squeezer and nozzle to apply it with. The nozzle mixes it as the two parts come out the tubes. Nozzles are one use only, but come in handy for jobs like this.