• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

January 04, 2019, 08:27:58 pm #225 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:30:42 pm by Lane C.
Yep Barry, too hostile outside these days. Better to keep warm in the shop.

Got the drop tank in from Meister today. Did a quick mockup of it under the wing. Will take some fitting for sure. The shape at the aft end is too pointed. Needs to be reworked. Hmmm. I will say the tank is VERY solidly built! Kinda heavy too. Won't be on for the maiden flight, for sure.

Bought some more Dolphin Glaze at English Color. Good stuff.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

I sanded off the rough glass joining seams on the gas tank and hit them with some grey primer. May not show up well in pics, but looks better in person. I flipped the bird over and sat the tank on the wing as far forward as possible. I need to find a way to attach the bomb rack to the wing and also the tank to the rack.

Lane C.

After filling and sanding the low spots behind the leading edge with Dolphin Glaze for several days, got around to re-glassing that area on both wing halves. Will sand with 220 grit discs on the orbital sander after the Z-Poxy dries for 24 hours.

dlabby

Is Dolphin glaze hard to sand?
Darrell Abby

Barry Ponder

For Barry. Yes yes yes. Any sanding sucks.  Sucks.
Bad for the wrist and elbows. But normal humans it's a good sorce of entertainment.
My small experience with it was fairly easy. Lots of sanding and reglazing and priming and more sanding. It was with my Zero wing that you Darrell painted and it came out looking perfect.
Barry 

dlabby

Yes, I borrowed a little of this stuff from you to make a fillet. As I remember it, it was very hard and difficult to use/form. I have been using the red glaze stuff. It sands and feathers nicely.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, Dolphin Glaze is easy to sand with a 60 or 80 grit sanding stick. Trying to use a fine grit at first is not the best way to do it. After you get it roughed shaped, then switch to finer grits. Z-Poxy is really harder to sand than Dolphin Glaze.

Lane C.

Another builder on another site asked about the primer I used. I use Advantage 301 Grey high build primer that Lee Rice told me about several years ago. It is acrylic lacquer and takes Advantage 102 as a reducer. I shot a couple of pics and will post them here. Also in the pic is Advantage 190 oil and grease remover you should use before spraying primer or paint. Really cleans finger prints and other stuff off before you paint. Also cleans exhaust mess off your plane after a day's flying. Lee steered me fine on all three products. English Color stores has these products.

dlabby

I used this Advantage 301 primer for the first time on my current biplane build. It is great stuff. Sure glad I got a good respirator mask from Harbor Freight. Every time I build, I run into new problems, solutions, and products; learn new stuff every time from fellow modelers, US Scalebuilders, etc.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

I've been thinking of a way to mount the centerline gas tank on the wing and still have the wing in two halves for transport. So, I found some PVC brick molding and trimmed the ogee off the front edge with the table saw and epoxied two lengths together. Then I sat the tank on it and marked the outline. Cut that outline on the band saw. Then sliced it down the middle and began to fit to the inside of the tank neck. The inside of the tank neck was very uneven and needed lots of Dremel sanding and cutting. Anyway, got it to fit inside the tank neck fairly snug. Next I will see how to permanently mount the PVC halves inside the bottom wing root. However I manage to get them to fit in the wing, the PVC halves will stand proud of the bottom of the wing about an inch and the tank neck will get screws drilled into the PVC halves after I assemble the Zero at the field. Won't be jettisonable, just fixed.

Lane C.

Did more on the tank mount today. Almost finished. Still needs to be glued in place. After gluing, will add some sheet metal screws to the tank neck thru the PVC to hold in place.

Lane C.

Got the bomb rack tacked to the wing sheeting with thick CA. Then pulled the wing off and opened up the top sheeting so I could get some epoxy on the PVC to really lock it in place. Added some glass tape and Z-Poxy over it as well. I'll glue the sheeting back on after I get the bomb rack secured. Then do the other wing half.

Barry Ponder

She's ready lets go fly. Ha maybe a few more things yet to do.

Barry

Lane C.

Barry Meister, won't be long! Hopefully this Summer. Got the tank mount finished this morning. A static-only item until we clear the flight envelope and make sure the engine runs OK. will look great with the tank on and going by at 100MPH! Tank is on there very solid! Going to hang the great on a flip over for a few pics later.

Sonny Coleman

As usual, very nice craftsmanship displayed in your zero build Lane. It kind of surprises me that a Meister Scale project would be as difficult to complete as this one has proven to be.

I've wanted to build a Meister ME109 for a long time, but with limited build space and building tools such a project has been shelved and I picked up a Phoenix Model Stuka instead. Work on this new project to begin soon. No retract to deal with WooHoo! ;)

Sonny
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin