• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Added the 2nd coat of Z-Poxy to the Denny Box and servo mounts today. It dried and i reassembled them on the engine box. Also, added some Velcro straps to hold the gas tank in place. Also, the Velcro strap under the Denny box is shown better in one photo. A few almost the same pics of the Denny Box as shown before, but all Z-Poxied and back on the engine box. On to another detail on the list, next.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Made the head rest/roll bar this morning. Used the Meister Booklet to find a drawing. Made a drawing to size and went from there with cardstock and then balsa. Sheeted it with 1/64" plywood. I feel it's pretty close to scale.

Lane C.

Gotta have a pilot figure! Bill, from Aces of Iron has been in my pilot box for 10 years. I started to paint him, but never finished. He was too big for the CMP Zero. He's a full 1/4 scale pilot, but only a bust figure. Boosted him up 2 inches to look normal in the seat. Going to set the cockpit up long as I'm in that area today.

Lane C.

February 28, 2019, 08:27:01 pm #258 Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:32:23 pm by Lane C.
The PVC seat is kinda weak and flimsy on its own. So, made a balsa box frame to give it some support in the cockpit. Frame won't be seen, so no big effort to make it scale in appearance. Installed the floor and side panels to check out how they all fit together. It's coming along! Will paint the cockpit Aotake Blue.

Lane C.

After sitting around for 10 years, Bill got his war paint finished today. Took about 4 hours, and ran out of daylight, so had to stop. Might have a few more things to add or touch-up. Will clear coat in a few days after he dries out.

dlabby

Darrell Abby

Lane C.

March 02, 2019, 06:20:09 am #261 Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:36:15 am by Lane C.
Thanks Darrell! Wish Aces of Iron did full body pilots! Maybe Lyle @ Best Pilots will do some 1/4 scale WWII full body pilots one day.

Later this morning, Bill told me he didn't like the white parachute harness straps. I told him he was correct, they are not right. So, got him fixed up.

Joystick

He looks pretty realistic.

I can tell by the look on his face that he wishes you would hurry up and get his plane in the air.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, I know, he's getting impatient. But, soon the weather will begin to warm up and I can do some outside priming and painting. Hope to have all the building done by then. Would be neat to have The Hell Bitch II ready for static display at the Scale Meet this year! That would give me a target to shoot for anyway. Doubt I would have time to get her flown before then.

Lane C.

Just cannot seem to stop the detailing of old Bill. Too cold to work in the shop, so worked in the house. Added some more details to the chute harness. The white stitching was too bright, so had to tone it down a bit. Used some very thin black and painted it on in layers.

dlabby

With your hangar of great scale planes, it would be almost criminal if you didn't enter and fly something in our local scalemaster contest. This is one of our biggest drawing events and you would contribute significantly. You can also enter a second plane in 'static'. Last year the static scores got lost; I plan on that not happening again. Your work is certainly worthy of 'showing off'. Give it some thought.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, many thanks for your comments. I may try to bring the porter out to the meet.

dlabby

Darrell Abby

Lane C.

And, if I can get a few flights on her between now and then, might even enter her in the contest! ha

Joystick

If you want to get in some flights, you'll need to leave your shop.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.