Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Weather permitting, of course!
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

One of the smaller details in the cockpit was fitting the instrument panel to the glass fuselage. These two parts did not match up perfectly, so I built-up the glass fuselage to match the panel. Ended up adding 3 layers of Dolphin Glaze to make the match up. I made dummy top instrument panel to use as a guide for the Dolphin Glaze and screwed it to the fuselage. Then pulled that off and replaced it with the instrument panel. Once painted it will all look better.

Lane C.

Made some dummy gun butts for the instrument panel today. Primered all the panels, floor, seat, and headrest. Be happy to move on from the cockpit to work on the gear doors.

Lane C.

Got out the Paasche airbrush and painted the side panels with a medium green. Kinda of a test and it looks pretty good. The Aotake Blue seemed to be a bit much and I cannot find any cockpit photos of original Zeros with the Blue shade. The Blue is used in the wheel wells and flap areas. So, found plenty of cockpit photos of the green shade. But the green shade varies with each panel. So, will look for some lighter green to paint the instrument panel. This isn't a Top Gun build, but like to have some fun now and then with the paint.

Lane C.

Did another assembly to show Steve Nicholsen the Zero when he comes up for the Weatherford Swap Meet and Auction this weekend. Lots of work and this thing is HEAVY. Hope he shows up! ha

Lane C.

March 20, 2019, 05:03:14 pm #275 Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:06:50 pm by Lane C.
Must be something new here to post. Hmmm, I been looking at the gun butts on the main panel and decided they were too big. Cut them out and made new ones. Added charging handles, masked off, and reprimed.

Bill was sitting a bit too low for my likes. Moved him up 7/8 inch. Much better.

Going the find a different shade of green for the instrument panel. Gun butts will get black or charcoal grey paint after the panel gets the right shade of green. And of course, all the instrument faces in the recessed spots.

Lane C.

Looked at the Blue Texas Sky today and decided painting weather is almost here. Dropped the cockpit work and got on making the gear doors. Once I get the doors made, I can start the primering of the entire Zero, assuming the wind stops and the temps rise! Used the plywood doors in the Meister kit as a pattern and modified it from there. Got the left door cut, shaped, and sanded today. Will work to attach it to the gear leg somewhat like the real deal Zero. I just take it one step at a time till it looks right.

Lane C.

Back to the gear doors today. Made a plywood liner/stiffener for the door and epoxied in place with 30 minute. This gives something to mount the door attachment brackets to and keeps the thin aluminum door straight. Made the brackets out of 0.032" brass sheet but will remake them out of steel. The doors will function fine like this. Need to refine the brackets.

Bought a HS-7654SH Ultra Torque servo for the flaps. The Futaba 3305's just wouldn't handle them. This one has 333 inch Oz of torque on 6 volts and over 400 on 7.4 volts.

Things are moving along.

Lane C.

But wait ... there's more! On the doors. Found some roof flashing in the parts box and remade the brackets out of that. Made them to look like the full scale Zero brackets. Also made a cover for the retract base. Now, to do the right side gear!

Barry Ponder

Very nice work. The Hell Bitch ll is coming along just in time for a 5 to 10 day in the close future.
Barry

Lane C.

That's right Barry. Keep thinking that this is a 50 pounder, so, power on approaches with possible go-around on first flight!

Kept going on the left door all day with a few breaks. Just about got it done. Made a few more tweaks.

Lane C.

April 07, 2019, 08:18:13 am #281 Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:27:57 am by Lane C.
Made the door for the right side. They are now a fairly close matched pair of doors.

Lane C.

April 08, 2019, 08:46:55 pm #282 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:50:44 pm by Lane C.
Now, working to get the flaps working. These are HUGE flaps and kinda heavy. Had to buy a 333 to 402 OZ/INCH HiTec HS-7945 servo to pull that load. Having to try a few different test settings for a control horn to get enough leverage. Got some good results today.

Lane C.

Got back on the flap today. Managed to get a good setup with the use af that dummy control horn. Made a new horn out of G10 and set it all up again. Put the servo cover on and widened and elongated the slot. Great results and very little servo noise. I'm going to call this done. Now to the the right flap.

Lane C.

Got both flaps running together on a Y-Cable. Both run smoothly and in sync. Vimeo video.

https://vimeo.com/330249899