• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Hey Steve, I spent more time LOOKING at the plans and parts than building. This is my first Meister Scale plane and it's a bit different than most kits as the instructions are minimal and the building style is new to me.

I rely on good old fashioned LEAD in the nose to make up for poor building techniques. Last two Zeros used FOUR POUNDS of it right over the engines.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Got on with the build, moving to the H tail.

Made the trailing edge first. Meister shows to build the tail vertical.

Started laying in the ribs. On each side, the inner and outer ribs are placed first, then the top cap, then the rest of the ribs. A metal rule helps to keep the ribs in alignment.

All the ribs in place with center piece joining the two halves.

The trailing edge and top cap strip were too wide for the ribs and needed some extensive sanding to make them match. This needed to be done for the sheeting to lay down properly.

The tail is put on stand offs to keep it true to get ready to lay the sheeting.

I made one of the 4 sheets and put it on the tail. Sprayed it with Windex to help it to conform to the contour. Needs to dry overnight before gluing on.

Lane C.

I redid the supports on the corners and middle of the wing to keep the wing straight for sheeting.

Got one sheet on with yellow carpenter's glue. Pinned down as many places as needed. Clamps too. I hit the sheeting with a bit of windex to relax the balsa.  Hope it all goes well.

I saw some good glue "squish-out" on the edges of the sheeting so I feel there will be  good adhesion. Wood glue is old school though, takes a couple of hours to setup. CA spoils me.

Joystick

I can't believe you're using the old yellow glue.

For my coroplast plane I bought an 8 oz bottle of slow cure CA. The cost is really cheap that way. I use the little plastic squeeze tubes to suck the glue from the big bottle and use them to put the glue where I want it, they are long and skinny so they work great.

The bipe took almost 5 oz of glue.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Hi Steve, the reason I used yellow wood glue is it gives me time to position the sheeting. Even thick CA will setup too fast for me. I'm a slow poke. Plus, the wood glue penetrates the balsa very well. So far, it's worked out well. And Meister's builder said he uses wood glue on his sheeting for Dino's planes. Down side is it takes several hours to dry. But, for the rest of building, I use CA.

Lane C.

After lots of sheeting work, and a bit of warping I had to overcome, I got the tail sheeted and sanded. Still need the wing tips and elevators. Been working all this week on this. Seems like a long time to spend on just one small tail.

Lane C.

Took the plunge and routed out the fuselage ports for the horizontal tail. First cut was a rough cut. Then went to the 5/8" Dremel drum sander. Had to go past the rear of the first cut another 3/4 inch. But, the tail fit without too much trouble.

Overall view. Starting to look like a Zeke.

View down the centerline to make sure it lines up properly.

Closer shot of the tail. Only a small difference between the glass outline and the actual tail.

Close shot of the tail and leading edge shape. This was not shown on the plans, but I think this is about right.

Lane C.

I added the tips to the tail today. Makes the tail HUGE! That's why the Zero is so stable.

Barry Ponder

She's got a whale tail.  All that sanding and wood work is giving me body aches just looking at it.   Barry

Lane C.

November 20, 2017, 06:22:36 pm #39 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:24:44 pm by Lane C.
Got the left elevator built today.

Joystick

CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Sonny Coleman

As usual for Crabtree Airmotive, an excellent build blog in progress. You really ought to send this one to MAN once your finished. I bet they would (should) publish it in a heartbeat.

Also, if there's room to shoe horn in another zero in the paint booth (when that time comes) let me know, there's a paint needy Zeke in Bedford. Ha!

Sonny   
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Lane C.

Thanks guys.

Sonny, I have another long article sent to MAN's Debra Cleghorn on painting the P-51. But, she loads them in every so often. Not sure when she will get to that one. Online only, of course - my photos are not the Madison Ave type, just everyday real world pics. Not the kind you see in the magazines.

As far as painting, looks like the painting season is pretty much over for 2017. Guess the paint shop will re-open next Spring. But, not planning on any TWO MONTH paint jobs like the P-51! The next paint scheme will be as simple as possible.

Got the right side elevator done today. There's not too much more to do on the horizontal tail now except to glass it. I can't mount in in the fuselage until I know what the incidence is and I need the wing on to do that. So, maybe it's time to start the wing build. Or, continue on the fuselage by mounting the elevator and rudder servos. Plus, the cockpit kit needs assembling, canopy, etc.

dlabby

3 deg positive incidence on the horizontal stab? So it is a lifting tail; was the real plane like that? Fuse build is looking great.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, I put that note there to remind me of what I heard from the builder of another Meister Zero. He reported that you need +3 degrees incidence to keep the nose from climbing under full power. The plans show +2 degrees. I think some engine down thrust would counter some of the extreme climb out on full power. Of course, flying full power is a must! Especially flying wing with Barry's Zero!

I moved on to the cockpit setup. Seems the kit is larger than I expected and is taking room away from the servo mountings. May have to cut the cockpit down a bit to fit then underneath the floor. "Bill" is a 1/4 scale  Aces of Iron Pilot I've had for 10 years. Never finished his paint job. I feel he needs a new name like Saburo Sakai.