• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

FedEx delivered the correct power switches for the Spektrum 12 channel Rx today. Powered up the Rx and tested it. All works as advertised.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Wet sanded the cowl and added a few silver highlights on wear areas. Will clear coat in a day or two.

Lane C.

I added some more silver wear marks to the cowl. Didn't really like how that looked, so began to wipe them off with some 190 solvent. And, in the process, those silver marks began to look good! So, I just started streaking them! I had a "happy accident" as Bob Ross used to say (Joy of Painting guy).

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and clear coat what I have. It's easy to get carried away with the silver paint. The clear coat will make it look much better and match the sheen of the fuselage.

Lane C.

Clear coated the cowl with Satin Polycryllic. Sprayed the back side of the cowl ring black so it wouldn't be seen thru the cowl flaps.

Lane C.

I was going to use the stand I made for the P-51 for the Zero. But, the cradles are a bit tight. I think I can open one end up for the Zero cowl and leave the other end for the P-51 cowl.

Also, my styrofoam work stand is getting a bit worn after several years of model building. I feel one end may burst when I put the engine in the Zero and allow the model to crash to the floor. So, I have added some 1/4 inch plywood on the ends for support. Should extend the life of the stand quite a few more years.

Lane C.

Time to fit the Zero in the truck. She fits. Barely. Wings go too, but have to stand them on the leading edge. Will take some work to protect them.

dlabby

Fuse and cowl weathering looks real good.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Glad you like it Darrell. Barry is coming over on Wed to help me do the CG. Spectators welcome and FREE admission. Spectators with LOTS of opinions on how to do the CG, $50 admission, cash. Ha

Lane C.

You missed it! Big day at Lane's Ranch! Barry and I put the Hell Bitch II thru her paces; weighed her, CG'd her, and photographed her. Then had a big fajita lunch!

Zero weighs 50.5 pounds WITH ballast!

CG is at 30 percent chord (7.6 inches aft of leading edge).

Span is 118 inches

Length about 7 feet

Joystick

That plane is HUGE, it makes Barry look like a little kid. Normally he just looks like a big kid.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Barry Ponder

Thanks. Ha.
Barry
Lane has done a hell of a job. Finish line is in site.

Lane C.

Steve, I would build an even BIGGER model, but I need a "Go Fund Me" account to buy that new trailer. Or bigger pickup like Barry's. I will leave it up to my viewing public to make that decision. Ha

dlabby

Do you have documentation for this bird?
she's a beauty and I'll bet she could be a winner.
Hope to see her fly soon.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

July 28, 2019, 10:13:05 pm #373 Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:17:01 pm by Lane C.
Darrell, yes, lots of artist's depictions and a photo of Nishizawa's "105" in flight.

The "105" is white in the depictions but others have made it yellow. Based on the actual photo, that may be where the color confusion began. Colors are sometimes confused in B&W photos.

The last image is how I think it was with the yellow "105" off a plastic model box top.

Lane C.

July 30, 2019, 08:20:05 am #374 Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:00:24 am by Lane C.
Somehow the photos got messed up in order. Sonny said he had to reload something, so, I guess that's what put things out of order. But, the text is still correct.

Made a wing bag for the Zero. Nothing available commercially for a wing-half with 25 inch chord and 59 inches long. Used insulation material from Lowe's. It's a light double bubble with aluminum film covering. Edges were stapled together then wrapped with 3 inch Gorilla tape. This Gorilla Tape is Extra Glue, Extra Strength and is way stronger that any duct tape I have ever used. Cost of the material for 2 bags was $68. The roll of insulation was 4 feet by 25 feet and was just enough to make 2 bags. It's a matter of measure TWICE and CUT ONCE as too short in width or length will render the bag useless. Remember to leave excess on either side of the wing and lengthwise as you need to allow the bag to "balloon" open to be able to insert the wing without damaging the wing parts such as control horns and linkages. Once the Gorilla tape is down, it's not coming up! So, draw some guidelines on the material to help keep the tape straight the first time you lay it down. The bag is very similar to the wing bags that came with the CARF P-51. Bag only took a few hours to make.