• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Since it's going to be Oct before i get the Zero out to the field to run the engine and all, I decided to make a run stand to run the engine at home. I can do this under the carport in front of the work shop. Hasn't required much lumber: 1-2x4, 1-1x4, and some scrap 3/4 inch plywood. Will clamp or screw to the work table. I laminated 2 pieces of the 3/4 plywood to make it extra strong. Will make a shelf at mid level behind the engine mounting plate for the gas tank, battery, and etc, to run the engine. It should handle the DA-100 fine.

Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Mounted the engine to the mounting plate. Built a shelf to hold the gas tank and other stuff. Added an aluminum bib to keep all the exhaust splatter off things. Getting close to finishing. Will be able to run the engine soon.

Lane C.

Picked up a quart of clear Poly to give the stand some fuel proofing. Kinda makes the wood work pop! Put some on the work table too.

Lane C.

I finished the stand today. I made it to be controlled by the Tx since that's the easiest way to control the whole thing from starting to shut down. one servo for the throttle. The choke can be moved by hand when propping. Should run fine right off the bat. But, with two-stroke gas engines, you never know.

Lane C.

August 29, 2019, 07:43:29 am #394 Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:09:12 am by Lane C.
 ran the DA-100 on the new run stand yesterday. All went smoothly. Once I got some gas to the carb, she started up and ran nicely. I made a video of the first run and it's linked here. It's 16 minutes long, but you can zip thru it if you like. I attempted to edit it down to knock a few minutes off in my  computer program, but gave up. Just another ap to live thru the learning curve. So, I posted the whole video to Vimeo. I listed the vitals on notebook paper during the run so you can get an idea of what's going on.

https://vimeo.com/356517706

I made the first run just the way the carb was adjusted from the factory. It wasn't any too rich, but wasn't lean either. On the two runs after the initial fire-up, I opened both needle valves about one half turn. That made it messy rich. But that's OK on a brand new engine. I ran one half gallon of gas thru it on this first outing. Going to run a couple more gallons at least, and maybe more, before I reinstall it on the Zero.

A few still pics of the engine running and the "bib" catching the exhaust residue. The heavy residue is after I opened up the needle valves. First run was pretty clean.

You can see how the silver prop almost turns invisible when running. I am going to make a safety shroud to put over the stand to remind me where the prop is! I'll post some pics when I complete that detail.

Lane C.

Running the engine with the silver prop was kinda dangerous because the prop almost became invisible. I'm making a shroud to at least give an indication of there the prop is when running. Going to paint it bright red and yellow on opposite corners.

Lane C.

OK, got the shroud finished. Better safe than sorry!

Joystick

Looking good.

I'm thinking that rig would be easy to mount on my boat. I could do some shallow water fishing at Grapevine lake and put a few hours of run time on your engine.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, it would pull a Jon boat around the lake! ha

Lane C.

September 02, 2019, 10:43:59 pm #399 Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:58:15 pm by Lane C.
I'm continuing to run the DA-100 and I've burned 1.5 gallons of gas in it so far. I have it running right at 6600 max RPM. Still needs a couple more gallons of gas run thru it. I have also installed the large Zero spinner which may take a few RPM's off the total high end number. But, it's still getting broken in. I would fly it at this point as it's pulling enough RPM's to fly the Zero. But, will go ahead and keep it on the run stand a bit longer. Still hot so no real hurry.

I am going to run Red Line oil in it at this point as I'm out of the gas mix I've had on hand. Desert Aircraft runs/recommends 40:1 mixture which is a bit less oil than I've been running all these years. May try that ratio now, or something close. 3 ounces per gallon of gas would be about 42.5:1. But 3 ounces is easy to measure and easy to remember. Ha

No pics of the plane or engine this post, so that is a rarity. I must be having heat stroke.

Lane

Lane C.

Ran again today and hit 6705 RPM! That's 7 quarts of gas thru it. I'll keep going until I have burned  about 4 gallons. It should be well broken in by then.

I mixed the Red Line oil in 2 gallons of gas and not sure the difference. Engine ran faster, I can say that. The mixing instructions say for 50:1, use 3 ounces per gallon, which is a bit more oil than other mixing sources. But, drops to 8 ounces for 3 gallons. That's 2.6 ounces per gallon. Anyway, I mixed it straight 6 ounces per 2 gallons.

Lane C.

I ran the final break-in run today. I decided that 3 gallons gas is enough break-in. Time running was 10 hours. I had it set so lean, the last 2 (quart) runs took 1 hour and 15 minutes each! Now I can bring the Zero back out to the shop and plug the engine back into the model. Won't be long till the temps come down the scale a bit.

Lane C.

I put the DA-100 back on the Zero and completed a few other details today. The 12 Channel Rx is supposed to have the two antenna "whiskers" at 90 degrees to each other, so cut some plastic sleeves and glued them to the plywood. On the 3 satellite antennas, one should be at 45 degrees to the other 2 to create another plane for receiving Tx signals. Made a little holder out of plywood and velcro'd it to the floor bottom. And, Desert Aircraft says the carb should have 2 inches clearance off the cowl, so cut a hole for air flow to the carb. Lastly, painted the "opening" for the oil cooler black. She's basically ready and waiting to go to the field.

If I had Barry's truck, I'd bring both the Zero and UV-20A to the Big Bird meet on Sat. But, am only bringing the UV-20A to fly with the new landing gear I made for her.

Barry Ponder

God job on the he Zero Build. She's a devil. Wait she's Hell Bit h ll. Ha
Barry

Lane C.

Barry, already working on the struts. Took them apart and ordered new springs. Will have to try them out one outing-day at a time.