• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build

Started by Lane C., September 02, 2017, 09:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joystick

May 03, 2019, 10:28:37 am #300 Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:46:46 am by Joystick
Looks like this guy is doing something similar. Maybe you can contact him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhMGWpOO2Q0

The CAF has a Zero that you may be able to see in person. Lots of detail, even down to the GPS mount, who knew the Japanese were so advanced? Road trip?

https://patriotswithguns.com/articles/commemorative-air-force-camarillo-a6m3-zero-pt-2-of-2/

This is the best shot of the headrest that I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW13UHXET84

I'm sure if you make a request for any details on the plane, these people will help you out.

https://www.seattlenorthcountry.com/directory/legend-flyers/
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, Wow, never thought of looking up YouTube for a Zero headrest detail shot! What I had first was pretty close. All I needed to have done was the put a slight taper from front to rear and make it a bit longer. I had guessed that it came to a point at the rear end to deflect bullets but apparently it didn't. Anyway, guess I'll stand pat with what I have as I am now in the final paint phase.

There's almost everything under the Sun on YouTube. Might be the best part of the internet.

Thanks for the links. Lane
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Joystick

There is so much on the internet that it's hard to believe.

The CAF Zero is only one of five flying today. They put a Pratt & Whitney R1830 engine (comparable to the original Sakai engine). Oddly enough, the fact that Japan had a contract with Pratt & Whitney before WWII in which P&W provided engines for fighter planes and other aircraft. It is, therefore, conceivable that some of the planes participating in the Pearl Harbor attack could have been powered by American engines. It's a small, small world.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

May 03, 2019, 02:32:43 pm #303 Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:48:52 pm by Lane C.
There's LOTS about Dec 7, 1941 that's VERY INTERESTING, mein herr, VERY INTERESTING. I won't spoil anyone's illusions about what happened that day. Ha. Lane

Got the Aotake Blue on the gear doors and flaps today. First laid down some silver as a base and then the Model Masters 2119 Interior Metallic Blue over that. I think it turned out nicely.

For those not familiar with the Aotake colors, the Japanese Imperial Navy used the Aotake coatings to preserve the aluminum aircraft and it was seen on about every bare metal part of the Zero. We used a similar coating to prime the aluminum before painting. But the Jananese version was really strong stuff and is likely what has preserved any wrecked Zeros found in jungles after the war. There was a shade of blue and a shade of green Aotake used mostly and other shades as well. These colors differed mainly based on the manufacturer doing the mixing of the colors. If you ever see any photos of a well restored Zero, they will show the Aotake in the wheel wells, gear doors, flaps, cockpit, and other areas.

Herb Koven

Quote from: Joystick on May 03, 2019, 01:57:51 pm
There is so much on the internet that it's hard to believe.

The CAF Zero is only one of five flying today. They put a Pratt & Whitney R1830 engine (comparable to the original Sakai engine). Oddly enough, the fact that Japan had a contract with Pratt & Whitney before WWII in which P&W provided engines for fighter planes and other aircraft. It is, therefore, conceivable that some of the planes participating in the Pearl Harbor attack could have been powered by American engines. It's a small, small world.

As a former employee of Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, I can't standby and allow someone to slander the reputation of this iconic company.
PWA never supplied engines for Japanese fighters or bombers. This an easily be confirmed by checking two books that are considered the encyclopedias of WWll aviation. William Green's "Famous Fighters of the Second World War" and "Famous Bombers of the Second World War". Both books go into great detail in the development and evolution of the WWII aircraft. No front-line Japanese Aircraft was ever powered by PWA engines. As a side note, the porotype Messerschmitt BF 109 was powered by a Rolls-Royce Kestral engine.
Even had PWA wanted to do business with Japan, it really couldn't. From 1938 on, the US imposed increasingly harsher embargoes on Japan. As early as 1938 the Department of State notified aircraft manufacturers and exporters that the United States Government was "strongly opposed" to the sale of airplanes and related materiel to Japan. In 1939, the non-binding embargo was extended to materials essential to airplane manufacture and to plans, plants, and technical information for the production of high-quality aviation gasoline.
So PWA could not have legally supported Japanese aviation and was actually building up its capabilities to support the allies in the years leading to WWII. While building up production capability from a civilian economy to a war time footing, PWA was developing the R 2800 radial engine. The engine that powered the Corsair, Hellcat and Thunderbolt.

Joystick

May 04, 2019, 10:01:33 pm #305 Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:16:42 pm by Joystick
You need to take that up with the CAF, they are the ones who posted it on their website.

Here is the link: https://www.cafsocal.com/our-aircrafts/our-aircraft-and-history/mitsubishi-a6m3-zero/
CHECK SIX

Lane C.

May 05, 2019, 10:24:59 am #306 Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:30:33 am by Lane C.
I'll tell you something that WAS propaganda from the War Department during the war. They put out the story that the Zero was just an inferior modified copy of some USA fighter! In other words, they attempted to further denegrate the Japanese Military. Of course, this was to be expected. But, the Zero was a PURE, ORIGINAL design that originated from the Japanese Imperial Navy. And I need to add that the Zero was ALWAYS a Japanese Navy aircraft. There were ZERO Japanese Army Zeros! Ha. They were simply painted green after Midway where they lost much of their carrier fleet, and were forced to operate from land. Most assume that there were Zeros by both arms of the military. The Navy was the one to blame for the lack of more horsepower in the Zero because they refused using the more powerful radial engines being reserved for the newer fighters. Although, by the time that a more powerful engine might have been placed in the Zeros, most of their best pilots had already perished.

Herb Koven

Quote from: Joystick on May 04, 2019, 10:01:33 pm
You need to take that up with the CAF, they are the ones who posted it on their website.

Here is the link: https://www.cafsocal.com/our-aircrafts/our-aircraft-and-history/mitsubishi-a6m3-zero/

The earth is flat. Why do I know that, because the following sites say it's true?

https://www.tfes.org/

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

So, a website makes a statement, that means it is true? That's your response to my defense of PWA. In traversing through the internet, it is advisable to apply Ronald Reagan philosophy, Trust but verify.
Do you have any other corroborating proof of PWA supplied engines to the Japanese?

Further proof the earth is flat, Amazon is selling flat earth maps.

Joystick

Quote from: Herb Koven on May 05, 2019, 11:49:21 am
Quote from: Joystick on May 04, 2019, 10:01:33 pm

The earth is flat. Why do I know that, because the following sites say it's true?

https://www.tfes.org/

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

So, a website makes a statement, that means it is true? That's your response to my defense of PWA. In traversing through the internet, it is advisable to apply Ronald Reagan philosophy, Trust but verify.
Do you have any other corroborating proof of PWA supplied engines to the Japanese?

Further proof the earth is flat, Amazon is selling flat earth maps.

I'm not saying the CAF is correct. I also had no reason to believe that what they said is in error, they are the experts who are rebuilding the Zero. What they said seemed reasonable to me.

I also have not verified everything on every website that I have been to. Life is too short. There are billions of errors on the internet.

They are the source of the information on the Zero. If you think they are in error, you need to contact them to correct it.

I have also not verified that you're correct. I can't prove that you are. They claim it is a fact, you need to find out where they got their information.

I've also been in the military for over 20 years and have actually been places and done things that our government, all the way up to and including the President of the United States said, and denied to the world, that America has not been involved in. Who is correct?

CHECK SIX

Herb Koven

Steve,
It's not my responsibility to correct the CAF. What is my responsibility is to not disseminate information that I can't vouch to be true. It's everyone's responsibility.

Let's leave it at that.

Joystick

Quote from: Herb Koven on May 05, 2019, 09:51:44 pm
Steve,
It's not my responsibility to correct the CAF. What is my responsibility is to not disseminate information that I can't vouch to be true. It's everyone's responsibility.

Let's leave it at that.

That's your opinion.

You have no way to prove beyond all doubt that the CAF is wrong any more than I do. You also can't possibly know what our government did once they had the engines over 70 years ago. I base that on my own personal experience after 20 years in the military and 18 years at LM Aero.

I'm also not going to research every fact on every article that I see to verify them for accuracy. It's not necessary, nor is it practical. If something looks suspicious, I do consider the source, I may question it, or leave it out if I'm not sure.

I'm only posting information on a closed site that only about 20 people read, this is not CNN or the NYT, nobody dies.

If DLE says their engine produces 3.7 hp, I'm not going to put one on a dynamometer and verify it to be true.
CHECK SIX

Lane C.

This weather has Crabtree Airmotive shut down. No painting. It's crazy - 65 degrees yesterday, and that was the high! Even colder today.  Yuk.

Lane C.

Weather was FINE today! Painted several hours on the Zero.

The left wing needed one more coat as it had some primer showing thru.

Painted the gear doors on the outside.

Gave the tail cone another coat as it had some grey spots showing thru too. Also painted the tail wheel and shroud.

Painted the bottom side only of the fuselage so it could dry a few days. It's dry to the touch, but really needs a few days to dry or it sticks to whatever it's sitting on.

Lane C.

Painted the cowl today with more Behr house paint from Home Depot. They computer matched it to the M&M Models color chip book page for Japanese aircraft. It's called "Blue Black" and it looks kinda charcoal to me. But, this is supposed to be authentic. I also sprayed the inside of the cowl flaps since they will show.

I made an improvement on the gear doors between the upper and lower plywood stiffeners. Since the lower piece was an afterthought, that joint was weak and allowed the aluminum to flex at that spot which might generate a metal fatigue crack later on. Just a bit more plywood and epoxy and I hope it will hold. More paint required over that repair. Won't interfere with the strut legs.

Lane C.

The cowl looks much darker inside the shop.