• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Top RC Models Composite Spitfire ARF/Build

Started by Lane C., April 10, 2018, 05:01:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rogers

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, looks like Today will be a good day.

Did some CG testing yesterday and found I need 2 pounds lead over the engine. Might need more, but will need this much for sure. My old Zero needed 4 pounds over the engine and was about the same size as the Spitfire. And she flew fine and was very fast. When I get the retracts all plumbed up, I can test the CG with the gear UP and see if the CG moves aft any - I think it may.
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Lane C.

Got more parts in and installed them. LiFe batts, new carb, power switches, retract valve and other retract parts. Coming along. I am hoping the engine will fire right up with the new carb and ignition unit. This engine always ran great till the last few flights on the green Zero. I think the ignition unit was going bad.

Steve Rogers

May 04, 2018, 07:01:22 am #33 Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:06:54 am by Joystick
The build is looking great. Everything is so neat and well organized.

If you want, I have an ignition tester and can check out the old one.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, that's a pretty wild looking setup. Looks like it covers all the parts to check. It also could have been a bad Hall Sensor which your board checks too it appears. I'll have to bring the old unit to the field next time.

Thanks for your comments. Despite the large hatch opening, seems to be little room for things. The most disappointing area is the tunnel behind the engine. They really made it small. That's why the gas tank sits behind the CG vs in front. Just wasn't room to mount the servos for the throttle and choke AND the gas tank in there.

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on May 04, 2018, 07:14:08 am
Steve, that's a pretty wild looking setup. Looks like it covers all the parts to check. It also could have been a bad Hall Sensor which your board checks too it appears. I'll have to bring the old unit to the field next time.

It can check the Hall Sensor and ignition module as a system which is the best way to find problems. I can also look at the spark waveform and map the advance curve.

Steve Rogers

Lane, no problem so far with the initial checks on the ignition module or the Hall sensor. Will do more later this week.

Lane C.

Thanks, Steve, maybe it was just the battery? Ha. I just got the new one in yesterday, so never hurts to have a backup.

Lane C.

Still working to get some small items done. Did the CG today and I feel it's OK to fly as soon as I get the ballast weights nailed down. Getting close.

Lane C.

Did the maiden flight today with Barry on the sticks. She flew nicely. Stayed up about 5 to 7 minutes. Barry made a fine takeoff and landing. Winds changed and increased in force. Too bad. Was going to fly more and make a video. Next time!

Barry Ponder

She flew very good.  She's a fast spitfire and will give my Zero a run for the money.
Barry

Steve Rogers

Quote from: Lane C. on May 25, 2018, 08:47:26 pm
Did the maiden flight today with Barry on the sticks. She flew nicely. Stayed up about 5 to 7 minutes. Barry made a fine takeoff and landing. Winds changed and increased in force. Too bad. Was going to fly more and make a video. Next time!

Where's the D?

Lane C.

Barry Ponder

Where's the D is a reference to Horse racing stats. I think. Ha.
Barry

Lane C.

Oh, OK, never heard of that. Ha

Well, not too many stats to give, but ended up with 4 pounds lead on the nose for a total weight of 21 pounds. Gas tank holds 22 Oz but we only flew with about 16 OZ on the maiden. Almost out of gas on landing. Engine temp was 202 Deg F right after landing. Down elevator mix with flaps was too much, so took all that out, will see how she does next time out. Next time will go with a full tank of gas and see how long that lasts. May not be able to fly more than 10 minutes from engine start to landing. But, with the way the plane's engine box was designed, not room for a larger tank. Of course, it was really designed for a 35cc which would be better on gas consumption. But, what fun is that? Haha. And besides, I already had this engine sitting around doing nothing.