• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit

Started by Lane C., June 15, 2018, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joystick

Bring it to the field Saturday for the maiden. I'll be there.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

For show and tell maybe! ha. Going to need LOTS of shade and an A/C unit on Sat.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Got the engine box epoxied in today. Added a couple more formers and stringers to hold the sheeting.

Lane C.

Sheeted today. Then some light sanding.

Lane C.

June 30, 2018, 09:20:09 am #19 Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:27:15 am by Lane C.
Last night, glued the final plywood plates on the fore and aft fuselage sections. I think they added these plywood parts for more strength. Let that setup over night and this morning got to fitting them together. Not a whole lot of work there, but needed some sanding here and there to get them to fit together flat. Got the fore and aft sections fitted and screwed down. Whole model is almost 8 feet! Sanded down the plywood joints even with the sheeting. Still some 60 grit sanding to go. Going to have to decide how to finish off the bird - Solar-Tex, Sig Koverall, glassing, or ?. Got time to think it over while I build the wing and tails.

Lane C.

Moving the fuselage inside to make room for the wing and tail builds. A few shots of the fuselage in the truck and inside next to the other models.

Lane C.

With the fuselage out of the way, I moved to building the vertical stab. Went pretty quickly with no real problems. Kit is very well designed and laser cut. Got the stab roughed out and glued up. Front of stab and rudder is next.

Lane C.

On to the rudder! Next, the horizontal and elevators.

Paul Lange

I have a small 47inch wingspan Pilatus Poreter PC-6 ...flies great and the barn door flaps do provide weird STOL characteristics.

I think the completely squared off vertical stabilizer is strange and Iconic for the airframe...which seems more like a box in some regards.

-Paul H Lange

Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Lane C.

Paul, yep the design is strange, but it's been around since 1959! So ugly it's cool. ha

Lane C.

Moved to the horizontal tail. Started to get twisted with me, so took a long time to get it straight. But, got it all glued out and looking good. Also built one elevator and mocked it up on the fuselage.

Paul Lange

Lookin good....yep "it's Hip to be Square" - LOL

-Paul
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Lane C.

July 04, 2018, 07:48:38 am #27 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:50:56 am by Lane C.
Up early today and finished up the other elevator. Did some sanding and shaping and put the tail on the fuselage for looks. Moving to the wing next!

Lane C.

Been painting my house, so, no work on the Porter till now. The wing half is pretty big, so I have just put the pieces in place without glue to begin with to see how it was all going to fit together. Looked OK so I started gluing as I went. I want to make sure it's as straight as possible before sheeting.

Lane C.

Got the bottom sheeted.