• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit

Started by Lane C., June 15, 2018, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Got the three LiFe batteries mounted today. Needed some ballast up front, so, these weighed 1 pound together, and that was about what I was going to add with lead weights. Power switches on the right side of the fuselage. Debated on hiding them in the cabin, but, spent lots of time on building the bird, so, mounted them outside. They will be easy to get to for sure.

Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Lane C.

Took the lady outside to get a few pics in the sunlight. Also installed the fuel dot in front of the cockpit.  Did another CG test and the servos mounted in the wings moved the CG aft a bit from the first CG test. No big deal, just add another 8 ounces to the nose. Getting close to engine run time!

Lane C.

Got the plastic window inserts glued in. Also put the stick-on instrument panel in place. Also got my Hobby Pak wing bag today. Very nice like several others from Hobby Pak. Still need to tape down the windscreen. Not much left to do but wait for it to stop raining.

Lane C.

September 22, 2018, 04:39:27 pm #153 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:42:08 pm by Lane C.
Got the windscreen on today. Cut some Monokote trim tape and anchored it down. I could probably run the engine and fly if it would quit raining and dry up a bit.

Lane C.

September 23, 2018, 07:19:21 pm #154 Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:22:54 pm by Lane C.
Always looking for a few details I overlooked. I Noticed the wheels on the full scale UV-20A were painted white on the outside and black on the back side. So, decided to fix that today. Took the wheels apart, primed and painted them. Then baked in the oven for 2.5 hours to set the paint. Not a good day for painting. But lucky the wheels are solid aluminum so they could take some heat. Also outlined the pilot's access doors but no photos yet.

I need to build one more part of the transport supports. I need a wheel chock for the main gear to make sure the fuselage doesn't roll around on the long drive. The back end will be supported by a stand that may not take much forward/aft movement without damaging the fuselage. With all the rain, got plenty of time to make that.

Lane C.

Made the wheel chock out of scrap plywood. Also did some felt tip marker work on door panels. I'm ready to take to the field! Just need some Sun shine and dry field.

Paul Lange

Lane- try to post up when you are going to the field with this bird !!!

I'd like to see it, smell it, touch it, film it - LOL

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Lane C.

Paul Is your middle name "Tommy?" "See me, feel me, touch me!" Rock opera by the Who. haha

I'll put it online here if I come out, but lately it's hard to know what the rain's doing. Forecast keeps changing. I hope to get it flown a few times before Oct 13. But, can't say for sure. May have to put it on static display only for the 13th. But, I'll bring it out anyway.

Paul Lange

Ya at least bring it out for static......we should be rain free for the next 5days.....so "Maybe" with some wind and sun...the field will dry out enough for this week end

I am making an effort to get some time on the simulator to help me since there has been so much down time

This entire year has been a challenge for me ......comparing amount of 2017 / 2018 video's  - less than 1/3rd stick time in 2018...uuuugh

Paul H Lange

Lane C.

Sadly the field is closed due to several lakes that have formed out there. Might be next week. Hmmm.

Lane C.

I am planning on being at the field on Wed Oct 3 for engine runs and possible maiden flight. Be there or be square.

Lane C.

Thanks to Barry for getting the engine tuned and doing the test flights, we got her flown yesterday. Sorry you missed it! Took lots of pics while Barry flew around. Sent one to Barry and he photo-shopped it to get it centered for me. Photo turned out very nice.

She just needed a few adjustments to the control surfaces. Ailerons and elevators needed more throw and less Expo. We decided that the one pound lead in the nose wasn't needed. And, I need a 24x12 prop for more pull and less RPM. The 24x10 flew OK, but the engine was turning over 7100 RPM which indicates the prop really wasn't quite enough for the 85cc engine. The first engine run was with a 23x10 which turned 7600 RPM! Way too small a prop. I could go with a 25x10 prop, but I already have ground clearance problems with the 24x10, so Barry suggested a 24x12. Valley View had one so I have it ordered.

Barry Ponder

She's a good flyer. A bit of a lumbering giant. Ha
Ailerons are kinda small for a 125 inch wing. But to scale she not supposed to be a acrobatic sensation. All in all a good flyer. Really cool to look at. Lane did a top rate job.
Barry

Paul Lange

Congratulations Lane and Barry !!!  I am disappointed that I missed the flight yesterday.....was hoping to see this giant cast its shadow.

Looking forward to seeing more of this bird

Paul H Lange

dlabby

Hope to see it again October 13 at the All Scale!
Darrell Abby