• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit

Started by Lane C., June 15, 2018, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

While i had the UV-20A out in the shop, I wanted to enhance the exhaust dumps with a little more true to life color. this isn't easy to do! I'm using water colors thinned out to almost a wash. These can be completely wiped off at any time. In fact, I have already wiped off the first try and started over. When stainless or chrome gets really hot, it usually turns a shade of blue with some yellow stains in there. This attempt is better than the first one! When, and if, I get a color I like, I will clear coat it with Polycryllic and that will seal it for good.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

I wiped all the blue-ish paint off and tried again. This time mixed some silver and charcoal and made a pewter color. Looked OK, so clear-coated that. Will do for now.

dlabby

Lane, can you share more specifics on your polycryllic clear coat that you use? brand, etc?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, it's literally Polycrylic Brand Clear Coat. It comes in several levels of brightness. I use satin most of the time, but it comes in flat and gloss also. Lowe's sells it, but for some reason Home Depot does not. If you spray it on, DO NOT thin it with water or anything, for that matter. The instructions clearly state not to thin. I tried it and didn't like the results. As it turns out, it sprays right out of the can even with an airbrush. That's prety much the story! ha. Lane

dlabby

Darrell Abby