• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit

Started by Lane C., June 15, 2018, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Got the top leading edge sheeted. Takes a while to do the whole top side since I have to use Yellow Carpenter's glue and allow dry time. I need more clamps! Clamps get weak over time and fall apart.
Current Build = F6F TF 86" Hellcat
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII

Lane C.

Finished the top sheeting. Bit of rough sanding done. Flap and aileron build next.

Lane C.

Flaps are the order of the day! Built both sides as it's easier to get them right that way. Added 50 pounds of weights to keep them flat while drying. But, they look good on the wing.

Joystick

Glad to see you're making good use of your exercise equipment.

I love the bare bones part of the building, looks great.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve! Here's some more bare bones pics. I forget to get any internal flap build photos so got some of the aileron. Looks the same as the flaps did.

Lane C.

Got the aileron done and one wing half.

Joystick

Quote from: Lane C. on July 17, 2018, 06:55:09 pm
Got the aileron done and one wing half.

That plane has some awesome flaps.

I always like the bare bones look. On my planes I sand and fit everything to 0.001 of an inch tolerance. Somehow, when I'm done with the covering and paint, my tolerance opens up to 0.250 of an inch. I have no idea how or why that happens.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, don't sand! Haha. Got the last aileron built today and started on the right wing. Same as the left, except mirror image. Had to correct a warped part or two before I need them. Clamped the trailing edge to a large aluminum angle stock and heated it up. Will check on it in the morning. This method worked on parts for the left wing. It was very hot out here today - 108 Deg F on the front porch in the later afternoon. Porch is on the East side too.

Lane C.

Did a bit more on the wing layout today. It was 112 Deg F on the porch today. So hot, it only got to the mid  80's in the shop with the A/C on all day. Just laying out the ribs to make sure I have them in the correct order. Since the booklet only covers the Left wing, you must remember to reverse all the parts for the Right wing. Dry fitting. So far, the right wing appears to be going better than the Left one. Left one started out on the wrong foot. Ha.

Lane C.

Got the Right wing going pretty good. Better than the Left wing for sure. Guess I just got off on the wrong foot with the Left wing. Almost all sheeted now, but letting the yellow glue on top sheeting dry overnight. Steve, more bare bones for ya.

Lane C.

ON THE GEAR! Finished the Right Wing today. Took a few pics. Glad to have reached this stage.

Joystick

CHECK SIX

Lane C.

I've decided the wheels are too small in diameter. Probably need to go to 6 inchers. Barely any prop clearance. Besides, this plane is a STOL aircraft and needs rough field balloon tires. Not sure I can find the exact wheels.

Joystick

I have 4" wheels on my little 6' wingspan plane, you need at least 8", maybe some wheelbarrow tires would work.
CHECK SIX

Lane C.

Haha. Dubro makes a 7 inch liteweight treaded tire.