• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Sharing of Receiver Port

Started by Bill Bradford, June 26, 2019, 04:15:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bradford

When sharing a receiver port with a battery and a servo I have always cut the signal wire on the battery side of the "Y" cable. Is this really a necessary step?

Thanks,
Bill

Joystick

CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Bill Bradford

Paul Lange

Hard to understand a simple answer.....I had to read that response several times before I understood it.

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Joystick

The long answer.

As long as the receiver design engineer does his job there should be no problem with having a short amount of wire hanging on the signal line.

It will act like an antenna and that can cause a problem if it is not mitigated in the design. RC equipment designers know what the normal EMI levels are and the good ones plan on making sure that their equipment will work under those conditions.

If you put something unusual in your plane, then there may be a problem. Like if you put a 50 Watt transmitter on board so you can relay data back to you during the flight, that would be outside of the normal RC receiver capability to handle and the interference could jam your signal.

Way back in the old days of RC, when we used 27Mhz signals, we were limited by law to 4 Watts on our transmitters. A few of the CB Radio owners, mostly truckers used an illegal 1,000 Watt transmitter and the signal was so strong it overrode the frequency selection circuits in our little RC radio receivers and would shoot us down.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.