• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Ercoupe build

Started by dlabby, October 15, 2019, 10:58:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dlabby

I obtained from Wes Blair a Ziroli 1/4 scale Ercoupe 415c kit which he had started framing up. After about 3 months we are approaching completion. It is balsa/ply construction with Koverall covering. It has Robart trailing link scale gear and a DLE 20 side exhaust. Wings have 3 coats clear dope, 2 coats Rustoleum spray can primer (white since the paint is yellow), and Behr acrylic paint. Silver fuse is Rustoleum can bright silver and all is Rustoleum gloss clear coat. Still have a lot of canopy work to do. I know the background is cluttered; better driveway pics later.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

The 3 piece canopy and bows are finished. Cowl baffles hysoled in. Lee says Ziroli recommends CG of 28% which is the rear edge of the wing main spar. so that feels like about 2 lb 4 oz of nose weight. Yikes. That will bring plane total to 15 lb 6 oz.
IMG_0047.jpg
Darrell Abby

dlabby

The Ercoupe flew its maiden flight Saturday, Nov 16 in excellent conditions. The short trim flight resulted in nothing loose or damaged. the DLE 20 ran perfectly. Two more flights were flown that day with loops, rolls, and several touch and goes. Some programming adjustments were made. I think this is going to be a fun, easy flyer.
Darrell Abby