Oops.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

A very "clean" build, Darrell! Nice.
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

dlabby

To honor Mother's Day the Hellcat got assembled in the backyard for Nancy to take some photos and an engine run. No, I can't find any Mother's Day connection, either. The engine run went very well. Total weight is 30 lb 15 oz which includes 1 lb 15 oz added to the engine standoffs. Here are a few cell phone shots; haven't got Nancy's photos yet.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

The 2 pound weight from divers-supply.com was just shy of 2 lb which worked perfect. It is now secured to the upper engine stand-offs. Need to do a final balance check, then she is ready to go to the field. But the runway is closed so it may be awhile. bummer.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

Here is the "Hellcat Hero Picture". No 3-blade scale prop yet.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

She turned out real nice Darrell! I like that paint scheme. Same one Lawrence had on his late Hellcat. When will the field be open?

dlabby

My best guess is several weeks. I think we have to do the grass seeding again.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

Yea! Runway 16-34 opened yesterday and IMHO it is quite a bit flatter and much improved. Over 2 days I watched a lot of takeoffs, landings, and touch-goes and even the smaller planes are not bouncing up. I have seen one spot and will be fixing that. It will continue to improve as the grass fills in.
So I flew the Corsair twice today to check runway and get warmed up for the Hellcat. So if all goes well, we'll give it a go around 11 am Monday 15th.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

For the NON-Facebookers: Maiden take-off was a 9.5. Brian dialed in a ton of down elevator. It flew solid; engine sounded strong and reliable. Flap deployment seems to have little pitch effect (will revisit that). Runway is about 20% dirt/sand so I landed in one of those spots with too high of descent rate so she nosed over. Broke prop and toed out the wheels. No other damage. Post inspection revealed 171 units of elevator "sub-trim". I don't know how but that was the trim problem. She's ready to go again.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Glad she suffered only minor damage Darrell. Flight looked good! She really went up after lift off. Lots of power. And she'll score well in static judging. Good job! Lane