• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., March 01, 2020, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

March 26, 2020, 07:10:47 AM #15 Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:20:39 AM by Lane C.
I've begun the covering of the DVII with SIG Koverall. This is fairly time consuming and I'm only getting one wing section done per day. But, that's good progress. Done both wing center sections to date.

IMG_6894.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

I also primed the side panels with some foo-foo-can red primer. It's not what I use for the "real" priming but it was handy for a quick shot. The louvers need some additional sanding and more primer, but will wait and use the Advantage 109 grey primer for that. It really dries fast and sands easy.

IMG_6842.JPG
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

dlabby

This one is really taking shape. Beautiful. Looks like the vents are not really open; how did you uniformly form these vent pieces? What will you do next on the Koverall--clear dope? I'll see if I can find your article. I sent one to MAN also.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, the vents are just balsa stock. Fake! Just sandpaper and time spent sanding. I CA'd them down to the side pieces and THEN sanded. Those little balsa parts are hard to hold onto otherwise.The two wing sections have had 2 coats of Nitrate dope thinned out with Randolph thinner. That's pretty much all they need before some Advantage grey primer. Send a link to your article when Debra gets it posted!

Lane C.

I'm getting one wing section done a day so far. I'll tell ya, it's a lot of covering! Got the upper left outer wing section done today.

OK, now I understand how to make just ONE set of pics per post! ha

dlabby

March 27, 2020, 07:32:54 PM #19 Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:39:03 PM by dlabby
Debra wrote back wanting large photo files. Unfortunately, this project was so old I deleted the larger files. Bummer. She may put it in "The Hanger" though. I can't find The Hanger. Is it in modelairplanenews.com or airage.com??? Thanks.
OK, Lane, I found it but as a mag subscriber what do I use for ID and password? I see no accomodation for magazine subscriber.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

March 28, 2020, 11:57:04 AM #20 Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:01:21 PM by Lane C.
Darrell, the printed MAN mag has no carry over to The Hangar. Just gotta gut up and pay $50 for the all-up membership. There may be a couple of other membership options. But, the $50 includes M.A.N mag online. There is a FREE option, but it is limited viewing of course. Try that one first, see what all it gives you.

The Hangar

https://hangar.modelairplanenews.com

Lane C.

I was able to move on to the fuselage covering after finishing the wing covering. Got the bottom aft fuselage done yesterday afternoon and also the top fuselage done this morning.

Lane C.

Hit it hard again today. Almost done covering. Couple of small patches on the front end left to do.

Lane C.

Another solid day of covering, but I have gotten it all done now. Once you get a rhythm going, it gets faster.

dlabby

March 30, 2020, 10:25:44 AM #24 Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:59:26 AM by dlabby
Covering is looking real good. Another beauty coming down the building line. The Hangar is not a friendly place. I signed up for the free business to check it out. When I put in my email, etc it comes back and says there is an account with this email so use the right password, dummy. Well, I don't know how there is an account. And it gives me no opportunity to reset my PW like most sites. Blah.
Well, I did the "Look Inside Free" thing but it wouldn't let me go into 'How To'. I requested Debra to help me out.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

March 31, 2020, 07:32:38 AM #25 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:47:06 AM by Lane C.
Hi Darrell, I've noted a few things there that are not quite right. On this last article, they changed the article Title (which is strangely worded) and eliminated the last "Figure" photo and text to use that pic as the lead-in photo. Folks might think that DVII is my BUSA model. The "Figure" text made mention of Herman Goring's DVII so I guess we still cannot mention any WWII German's name even after 75 years. Also, I sign on as "remember me" but in 3 days I have to sign on once again.

Yesterday I finished the covering. Did an assembly to see how all the parts fitted after several coats of Nitrate. I had to open up all the bolt and screw holes after covering and before painting as they'd be well hidden otherwise. I also tested the CG while I had her assembled. Based on the CG off the plans, I'm still nose heavy. I added 4 pounds of lead right behind the engine and that got me close, but still not quite enough. I tried a one-man-weigh-in on the small postal scale and I got 16-17 pounds but that wasn't really too reliable as I couldn't get the model centered on the scale. The neighbor is coming over today to read the scale while I stand her on her nose.

Lane C.

We weighed the DVII and she was 20 pounds plus a few other parts I weighed on the digital scale @ 1 pound 5 ounces. Paint will add 2 pounds, and a possible 5 pounds ballast for a total of 28 pounds 5 ounces. Let's just call it 30 pounds flying. She should fly fine and the DVII was never a WWII fighter speed-wise. I've seen other's comments on weight of their DVII's and they fly fine at 30 pounds. I did try another CG test this time at 6 inches aft of the upper LE. It balanced good there with 4 pounds lead. 6 inches = 30 percent Chord which is a good, safe, CG. Now all I gotta do is paint her!

Lane C.

Still raining. Boo.

So, I glued on the horizontal and vertical stabs today. Also made the support wires for them. These are not optional on the DVII.

dlabby

Do you remove that hardware before spray painting? Balsa is also clear doped?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

April 04, 2020, 11:30:22 AM #29 Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:34:30 AM by Lane C.
Darrell, almost all the hardware will be taken off and painted separately if required (wing struts, landing gear struts) as well as many of the other hardware parts. All the "bare balsa" is covered with Koverall. I applied 3 coats nitrate to all the balsa, sanding between coats, (wings and fuselage), before covering, then two more coats after covering. Sanding over the covered wings has to be done carefully not to sand thru the Koverall. I used 400 grit very lightly there.

Got some pinked strips on the tail surfaces today as it would look strange not to have then match the wings. They don't show up well on the rudder, white on white, but they are there.