• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., March 01, 2020, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

April 30, 2020, 08:44:31 AM #45 Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:49:24 AM by Lane C.
Steve, hope to have it out one day soon!

I ran the engine on Monday. It was a brand new DLE-35 and shoulda started right up, but took about 30 minutes to get it running. WIth choke on, it fired off, and then with choke off I thought it was going to run, but just sputtered. Did this 3 more times with the choke still off, then nothing, not even a sputter. I opened up the LOW needle valve and tried that - same thing. I guess I messed with it enough that I got something right and finally ran it for one hour. A few more runs and I'll call it OK to take to the field once the mmodel is ready.
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

Lane C.

While waiting for paint masks, I set up the subwing to a specific incidence in relation to the upper wing. Then mixed up some Hysol and let it setup. After 5.5 hours the Hysol had set hard so flipped over to get a few pics.

Lane C.

Assembled all the parts and took her outside for daylight photos.

Steve Rogers

It sure is white, a lot of white. Looking great.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

Steve, that's what Herman the German wanted, I suppose. Fokker painted it JUST FOR HIM! Ha. The black markings will tone it down a bit. Should show up well inflight. Hope so anyway. Lane

dlabby

Yes, indeed, that is the cleanest, white plane I have ever seen. The black graphics will really set her off. She's beautiful.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, thanks! I just saw the change in the Biplane Meet to Oct 3. So that's takes a bit of pressure off the build schedule. Now, it's just a matter of finishing the DVII and getting it maidened. Still waiting on the paint masks, but no hurry now. But, I would like to get all the markings on there and then do a final assembly and CG testing.

I've been doing a bit of layout for the crosses. I was doing this in case the paint masks were delayed on getting here. But, now it's just to see where the masks will go when they get here. I think they are pretty close to scale positions. The width of the cross-legs are a bit thin, but that's just a matter of getting some wider tape. First pic is obviously the top wing.

Lane C.

Callie says the masks are lost in the mail, so she will remake them when she orders more mask materials. In the mean time, I am assembling the complete DVII to do the CG assessment. I will use the "hanging" or Vanessa CG test method like I used on the Pilatus Porter Chirachaua. Once that is done, I can add the markings when the paint masks come in.

Lane C.

Still paint masks! I've been working on the CG. I have calculated the CG at 35 Percent Chord and that's requiring 4.5 pounds of lead on the nose. Don't have a final weight yet, but have ordered a digital hanging scale. Plane is too bit and awkward to try to put on the old Postal Scale.

First pic is the one pound diver's weight at the very front of the upper cowl. And, two, 3 ounce weights to the left and right of the one pounder. Under these on the lower cowl, is 3 pounds 3 ounces of lead shot for a total of 4 pounds 9 ounces ballast.

Second pic is the lower cowl with the lead shot. I made a frame to contain the shot in the cowl. Shot is well mixed with 30 minute epoxy and poured in place.

Third pic is the DVII hanging from the Vanessa rig. Rig is at the 35 percent chord marked position (green tape).

Fourth pic is the DVII hanging with a slightly nose low attitude.

Fifth pic is the lower cowl in place. Idea here is to move the lead as far forward as possible as that requires the least amount. Close clearance between the lead and the engine, but close is OK as long as it's not touching.

dlabby

Almost ready, eh? You may eventually end up with 2 sets of graphics. Best I can tell my old diver weight source (Seavenger) no longer carries lead weights. Just got some from divers-supply.com.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, I buy the weights from a dive shop near the JRB (Carswell) on Alta Mere hwy. They have always had them and the price keeps going up! ha

I think the masks never got mailed since the tracking number shows it was never merged with a package. Callie said she was redoing the order and remailing. At this point, no hurry.

Lane C.

OK, here's the weigh in news - 27.0 pounds. Got the scale in this morning from Amazon.

Scale is good for other uses as it goes up to 440 pounds.

Lane C.

Got the masks from Callie today. I was able to use two of them already. Lots more to add. Not really tough work though. Hard part is putting them in the correct location.

Lane C.

Pressed on with the masks. Added the letterings.

Lane C.

Got the rest of the markings done today. Added the crosses on the wings. Took a few hours, but fairly straight forward.