• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., March 01, 2020, 08:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C. and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lane C.

I'm getting down to the small jobs before painting. I glued the side panels on today and might be able to do some priming this week. Two days are supposed to have temps in the mid to high 80's. I need to paint early as possible to allow the latex to dry thoroughly before clear coating, all hopefully before the Biplane Meet that might or might not happen per June 15th schedule. Got all the parts laid out and ready to mask off a few spots that need to be free of paint.

Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

dlabby

That all sounds very similar to what I do. 320 grit is as far as I go. All looks good and ready for paint. Sure hope we can get out by June 6 Biplane Fun-Fly. I'm thinking I need to get some planes out on the drive just to start up the gas engines; Long dry spells are not good for engines.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Darrell, we might have to reschedule the Biplane Meet. Hope not, but it's an option.

dlabby

Yes, we may have to. Fall is getting pretty crowded. AMA says we can reschedule with no $$ penalty (this event is AMA santioned).
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

April 09, 2020, 08:35:58 am #34 Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:40:04 am by Lane C.
Darrell, I am not that deep into the AMA rules, but what does the $$ got to do with rescheduling?

I took advantage of the good weather yesterday and primed most of the model. Still have a few more items to prime, but this is a good start. Now for some fine sanding! I use one of the soft rubber sanding sponges and they work great.

And using the Advantage 102 Grey Primer is great because it dries almost immediately! You can sand NOW rather than wait 24 hours like when using a rattle can.

dlabby

It costs the club $25 to sanction an event. Due to all the event rescheduling due to virus, AMA allowed clubs to change dates without another $25 charge. Generous of them, eh?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

OK, thanks. If we do reschedule the event, I won't be under the gun to get it out to the field and can take the time to run the DLE-35 on my run stand and put a gallon of gas or more thru it.

dlabby

Roger that! I am thinking the same thing for the Hellcat being ready for the Sep 26-27 Texas Scale Champs. Have to get in several shake-down and practice flights though.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

The Sun was out today and the temps finally crept up to the 60's. So, I began color spraying the DVII this afternoon. Got a few parts started with a couple of coats of White. After 2 coats I light sanded with the sanding sponge and gave another coat. Starting to look good. This is dead flat house paint so had a bit of a rough surface after drying. A light sanding was just right. After the color covers the grey primer evenly I can hit it with some egg shell Polycrylic clear coat. Still have several more wing parts to paint.

dlabby

Looking real good, Lane. This is going to be a beauty. I guess you and I are about the only ones on the forum. Is your Hellcat next?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Hi Darrell, yes, guess we have the WHOLE site to ourselves! ha

The painting is going well except for lots of fish-eyes in the paint. I worked over the air compressor this morning and found it had a bout a pint of rusty water stored up. Drained that out and also re-sealed all the pipes fittings as I've had a small leak for a long time. Maybe that fixed it. After this wave of cold/wet moves past I'll get back to the white paint. Since the white is so easily marked with dirt and grease, I may go ahead and lay down a layer of clear coat as soon as i get all the white paid on. I don't mind a little dirt as that's "scale" but I have lots of final assembly to go next.

As far as the Hellcat, I might hold off a bit as the old billfold has been drained on several projects lately, mostly of the house-upkeep type. But, since I have several yards of Ziroli glass cloth and lots of Z-Poxy, I could go ahead and work the glassing of the model. Just depends on how the mood hits me after I get the DVII done. And I have the DLE-55 I bought for the DVII now on hand, I can work that angle as well. Only big ticket item left to buy will be the main and tailwheel retracts and wheels.

dlabby

Man, you hit the nail on the head with the handling smudging after painting. True for white and this dark blue color as well. There is a lot more to do prior to clear coat. I try to make sure my hands are clean. And white color on the bottom is going to get so dirty eventually anyway. but they sure are pretty when new. Keep the pics coming. good luck.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Today I went ahead and clear-coated the white. And I pulled some tape off the cowl and placed it on the fuselage to see how it looked. I kinda like the black and white - it really pops. When Callie gets the paint masks to me I can get the marking sprayed on. Just a few black crosses and serial numbers to add.

Lane C.

I clear-coated the parts yesterday and today I pulled the masking tape off and assembled the wings. Took 'em outside to get some better color shots. Looking forward to getting the paint masks to add the markings.

There are slight gaps between the outer wing sections where they join the center sections. But, I can live that that. Main thing is that the model is now transportable and will assemble easy at the field.

Steve Rogers

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.