• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

A new method to tinn soldering gun tips

Started by Herb Koven, March 04, 2020, 08:12:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb Koven

If you have been in this hobby for any length of time, one of the skills you need to acquire is soldering. There are probably 2 major categories of solder: structural such as fabricating landing gears and electrical such as attaching connectors to batteries and ESC's.
You want to heat up the item you are soldering to a temperature high enough to melt the solder and have the solder wick into or on the item you are soldering.
In my case, I use an electric soldering gun rated at 150/230 watts. In order for the process to work, I have to apply a small amount of solder to the end of the soldering gun tip, this is called tinning. If I do it right, the heat transfers from my soldering gun to the part and the process works. If I don't have a good tinned surface, the transfer of heat doesn't occur. The soldering gun tip oxidizes over time and prevents tinning. So proper tinning is an important step in the soldering process. My solution to the problem was to purchase new soldering tips.

I found a product sold by Amazon that makes tinning a non-event. It's a powder that you insert a hot soldering gun tip into and the tip is tinned. It's no more complicated than that. The product's name is "Thermaltronics FBA_TMT-TC-2 Lead Free Tip Tinner ....and it costs $6.35 before shipping. It is a lot cheaper than buying a new soldering gun tip and a lot easier.
When you open Amazon's home page enter "tip tinner" in the search box and it will take you to this product. The product is amazing.

dlabby

Darrell Abby