• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Convert a Giant-Scale to a 3-Piece Wing

Started by Lane C., March 25, 2020, 12:51:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

I just completed and submitted a new article for M.A.N. on their new site The Hangar. This is a subscription site and if you have a subscription you can read the article under the "How To" section. Basically the article shows the steps to build a one piece wing in a 3 piece wing configuration. The article is for those who want a 1/4 scale DVII but don't have a large enough truck or van to haul it to the field. The one piece upper wing is the fitment problem as it's 88 inches. I also made the lower wing in 3 pieces since it makes transport and assembly at the field much easier. Title of the article is in the SUBJECT field above. Lane
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat

Sonny Coleman

Hi Lane,

That's a handy modification because it allows easy transport of the fuse (if you have a pickup), and the wings could go into a wing bag if traveling. Nice work!
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Lane C.

Thanks, Sonny. Yes, it is a handy mod if you only have a truck and need to find a way to get it to the field! And, there should be wing bags that will fit the shorter outer wing stubs. Or, I can make some new bags. But, that's a lot of work. Lane

dlabby

March 31, 2020, 09:06:56 am #3 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:44:30 am by dlabby
Here I am for my morning computer work. Today is day 4 of trying to break into 'The Hangar'. I finally got in, I think, but cannot get into the "How To" or any other section except the main one (I don't remember the name of that one). As a mag subscriber I am supposed to have access. I've been working with 2 people at MAN. Very frustrating; will let you know. I'm not this dumb. I'm guessing this new endeavor won't be used.

Well, 4th day is success--but not smooth. Lane, I found your article. One of MAN's PW's finally worked. But scrolling down to How To section and clicking on it did NOT work. When I did a 'search' for "How To", I was able to get into the article; had to click on the "206 more" to find yours. Whew. I can't believe 53 others have found your article with this kind of difficulty.
Your article is spectacular; your tech writing skills really show. Pictures are great. I can see where it might be too long for print version. Now we will see if I can ever get in there next time to look for my article. Debra said she was going to put it in. Let me know if you ever see it. Key words 'scale prop/spinner'.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Thanks Darrell, glad you got inside the Kingdom! ha

My article was first up a few days ago, but when they post a new one, it steps to the right one frame and then again and agin till it's on the next page. If it were my site, I'd make the articles thumbnail sized so more could be browsed before having to go to the next page. There are so many ways to set up a web site that it's hard to decide just how to present all the data so the user can use/access it easily.

I'll look for your article.

dlabby

You got that right. Web sites are NOT all the same. Some are intuitive and easy to use--others are poorly designed or just plain don't work. Seems like this site would be more active with all the guys shut in.
Darrell Abby