• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

More Government Overreach

Started by Steve Rogers, May 06, 2020, 07:16:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rogers

I have a LOT of issues with this one.

"WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID). Remote ID will enable Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation's airspace.
The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS): Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. These companies were selected through a Request for Information process in December 2018.
"The FAA will be able to advance the safe integration of drones into our nation's airspace from these technology companies' knowledge and expertise on remote identification," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID. The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.
The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. The FAA will then begin accepting applications for entities to become Remote ID suppliers. The FAA will provide updates when other entities can apply to become qualified Remote ID USS on FAA.gov.
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the transportation sector with nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots now registered with the FAA. The agency's ability to develop Remote ID technology simultaneously with the rule enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system that has demonstrated global leadership through the small UAS rule and the implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations."

This is just more government overreach and will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to implement and is just trying to solve a problem that does not currently exist and is not likely to exist in the foreseeable future.

Here are the statements that I have issues with and my rationale:

1. to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation's airspace.

Our model planes do not operate in the same airspace as the manned planes, we fly below the manned aircraft and no closer than 3 miles from any airport without control tower permission.
We fly in accordance with a community based organization and are prohibited from flying in manned airspace. There is no reason to identify our models or provide our location information since we are no threat to manned aircraft.
My main concern is that our model planes are lumped in with other aircraft that can fly beyond line of sight and are incorrectly labeled as drones due to ignorance, incompetence, or laziness by the FAA to differentiate between hobby planes and commercial drones that are capable of flying in controlled airspace..

2. safe integration of drones into our nation's airspace from these technology companies' knowledge and expertise on remote identification

None of the companies listed have anything to do with model planes that we fly. They only have knowledge of large UAS systems that fly in manned airspace.
   There is no reason to identify our models or provide our location information since we are no threat to manned aircraft. Our model planes do not now and will not be sharing the same airspace as the manned aircraft.

3. provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.

There is no reason to identify our model planes or our location because we don't fly in the same airspace with manned aircraft.

4. enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system.

There is no need to add our model planes to the UTM system since our model planes will not be sharing the same airspace as the manned aircraft. Adding millions of model planes to the system will just increase the cost and complexity of the system and will not provide any tangible benefits to the safety of manned aircraft.

5. implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC)

There is no need to add our model planes to the LAANC system since our model planes will not be sharing the same airspace as the manned aircraft.

6. automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.

There is no need to obtain airspace authorizations since our model planes planes will not be sharing the same airspace as the manned aircraft.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

John J. Stanzak

So there has never been aircraft flying low over the field? I know I had to dodge a couple airplanes before as the were low flying.
Also yes your statements may be valid here but I can tell you it is not the same everywhere and in every situation. Haveing the ability to for them to appear to real aircraft traffic avoidance systems is a plus in my book as well it would have come in handy a few times.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Steve Rogers

The main issue is that having all of the model planes show up on traffic avoidance systems is going to produce nothing but unnecessary clutter. I worked in the air defense command for several years and as a weapons engineer for over thirty years. Only so much information can be displayed to a pilot at one time before they get overloaded. 

I have a great deal of experience with IFF and traffic avoidance  systems. More information is not necessarily better. It is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff even with computer systems help.

We have high speed computers, but we still do not have "real time" computing. Even if we did, there is the problem of how fast a pilot can see and respond to a threat as well as how fast an aircraft can maneuver to avoid another object in the air.

Another issue is the cost of putting the transponder on each one of our model planes. The FAA wants each model to have a unique identifier which is nice for them, but the cost per plane will be in the hundreds of dollars. It will also not be easy to transfer the system to another plane. The process will need FAA approval and registration just like N-numbered aircraft today.

Our model planes will not be able to use cheap little Chinese made ADS-B Out and transponder systems due to the requirement to interface with the government systems. They will need to meet the government certification requirements just like manned aircraft, or UAS that fly in controlled airspace. I can tell you from personal experience that the process is not cheap.

Our line of sight model planes are not a threat to manned aircraft when flown in accordance with the AMA guidelines, there is no problem to be solved. If an idiot or criminal wants to fly in an unsafe or dangerous manner, there is no possible way to stop them.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

As I've said for many years, all this FAA business is a major power grab towards a totalitarian Police State. Just like the COVID-19 "safety measures" are total power grabs to train the sheeple out there to run with the herd towards a police state. The frog is being boiled one degree at a time. It appears to be working.
Current Build = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Just Finished = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero
Future Build = Top Flite ARC F6F Hellcat