• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

TF Hellcat RTC

Started by Lane C., June 20, 2020, 07:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

June 30, 2020, 12:44:47 PM #15 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:36:11 PM by Lane C.
You have to be sneaky to get a photo posted.

I cut out the cowl flaps today. Not a hard job, just time consuming. Glassed them in place.

Glassed the belly pan in case of gear up landing. You can usually count on at least ONE of those!
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

dlabby

Your cowl flaps look exactly like mine. Are you glassing the belly pan onto the wing center section? I see no reason for it to be a separate piece. Covering is looking good.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

July 01, 2020, 06:40:54 PM #17 Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:48:44 PM by Lane C.
Quote from: dlabby on July 01, 2020, 10:54:16 AMYour cowl flaps look exactly like mine. Are you glassing the belly pan onto the wing center section? I see no reason for it to be a separate piece. Covering is looking good.

Yes, Darrell, the old saying applies here "Great minds think alike! Ha!

I didn't glass the pan to the wing but CA'd it. Cut a 1/16 swath out of the covering along the pencil line I drew and then used thick CA and activator to glue it down directly to the balsa. Took some serious hand pressure to keep it in place. I agree, no need to make the pan separate. I'll have to do some masking to paint the belly pan later on, but wanted to get it fitted before painting so I could do any additional work on it if needed. Thanks on the covering compliment. Lane

Lane C.

Installed some decals from Callie. Fuselage stars and bars and NAVY. Took a while to get the angle of dangle but finally got a line I could live with. They really pop on that orange covering!

Lane C.

Added the tail numbers. The blue tape represents the white tail flashes.

Lane C.

Got the DLE-55 mounted and the cowl installed. The TF ARF is quality like the TF P-47 I did a couple of years ago. All the parts fit and the instructions are great.

Steve Rogers

Looking great. I love the orange color.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Lane C.

July 11, 2020, 01:14:02 PM #22 Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:16:31 PM by Lane C.
Steve, glad you love it! I miss the first one I did up this way.

Got more done on the cowl today. This is the time consuming work that's a pain iin the rear, but might as well get er done as TF supplies all the parts for the dummy engine. The dummy engine also serves to block incoming air except to the cooling fins, so, that makes it worth the time and effort. Painted the dummy engine and former flat black. Will paint the front of the DLE engine flat black to blend it in with the dummy engine.

I was able to use the DLE factory muffler which saves me almost $150 on a Pitts muffler.

I'll be needing to make a trip to Home Depot soon to get some orange paint matched to the OraTex Orange to paint the cowl and belly pan.

dlabby

Markings looking real good. Are you leaving the dummy engine all black like that? What gear do you have? I have 3 flights and the robart mains are not doing well. My landings haven't been that bad but the wheels are toeing out every landing. The whole strut assembly is loosy goosy. Tried to toe them in slightly but there's nothing to hold the toe-in position in place. been talking to Lee; have not talked to Robart yet. I will try another couple of flights, I guess, when conditions are good.
Have you come across any related info in rcuniverse, etc?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

July 11, 2020, 07:37:49 PM #24 Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:45:23 PM by Lane C.
Hi Darrell, thanks, yes going to leave the dummy flat black. It's really just there to black off the air where I don't want it to go! ha. Saves making a plywood plate which is what I generally do. Haven't bought any gear yet. But I planned on using Robarts. They have a set I used on the ESM Corsair with the Radial engine called "150 Z" which are for the Ziroli Corsair. They are heavier built and can handle a fair amount of abuse. Been waiting to buy them as the whole she-bang of Mains, Wheels, and Tail retract are pretty pricey. Robart had a July 4th ONLY 20 percent off sale but didn't bite. They'll have another monthly 20 percent off one day soon I hope. Haven't read anything on the gear you bought. But, it seems to me that there was a set screw where you could change the toe-in as you wanted. But, don't use a set screw, change those out to a regular cap screw cut very short. You cannot get any torque on a set screw. I hate them! Lee likes the Robarts and that's why I used them on the ESM Corsair. He says Seirra's are loosey goosey. Ha.

Got the Best Pilot's David McCampbell in today. He's going to look great even if this is a drone!

Had to remove his shoes to fit the cockpit. won't be noticed. Guess he'll be looking to Port since his body is shifted that way.

He fits the cockpit very well. Lyle does a fine job on his pilots! And it looks just like the Commander! McCampbell was the Navy's top ace with 34 kills and awarded the Medal of Honor. Of course, he flew the F6F Hellcat.

dlabby

McCampbell looks perfect. There is no set screw to hold the toe-in. Lee told me about the beefier gear the other day---too late. I recommend that you get the beefier mains.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

July 12, 2020, 09:41:05 PM #26 Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:14:26 AM by Lane C.
That's right. It's the Sierra's that have the grub screws. My bad.

Changed the cowl attachment method after learning that the cowl screws as the factory suggest come loose. Then the cowl goes thru the prop. Or tries to. So, i am using the tried and true method I've used for years. As the pics show. See pic below of the cowl that came loose inflight!

In place of the screw under the cowl, I've used that spot for the hold down block made out of hard wood.

I cut the cowl ring right where the hard wood block goes.

Then put the cowl on and drilled thru the cowl and block for a 4-40 cap screw with Tee-Nut under the block.

Also drilled a 2 inch hole for the carb to breathe. Some think this isn't required, but I think it helps. Photo is inverted.

Lane C.

Darrell, I got another post on RCSB where a guy had his cowl come loose and go thru the prop! He had his cowl screwed in like the photo above had been and it came loose. If you did yours like the factory suggested, you might want to modify it somewhat. Lane

Lane C.

July 16, 2020, 07:37:01 AM #28 Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:47:42 AM by Lane C.
Finally got the cowl fixed up except for painting. Cut the hole for the exhaust and made a shark mouth and low pressure lip to help the exit air. Painted the fins of the engine flat black. Now all that's left to do is a lot of masking to keep the flat black clean and paint the cowl Orange.

Also plugged the holes in the dummy engine since I no longer need them.

The shark mouth isn't excessive, but enough to help keep the DLE-55 cool. The lip is made from 0.020" G10 sheet, then CA'd in place and an epoxy fillet added on inside and out for strength.

dlabby

Good mod on the cowl. It is a small scale infraction but probably worth it. Best I can tell you still used just 3 screws into the hardwood blocks to secure cowl??
I will keep a close eye on mine. Your orange cat sure is looking good. Ordered gear yet?
Darrell Abby