• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

TF Hellcat RTC

Started by Lane C., June 20, 2020, 07:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Darrell, yes used the same three spots to attach the cowl. Seemed to be good as they will show no matter where they are attached from the outside. Unless maybe they could be done with flat head screws that were level with the top of the cowl. Haven't gutted up to order the retracts yet. Shoulda jumped on the July 4th 20 percent off deal!

Been poking along on the Cat. The heat is taking some of the Fun of Summer away! ha. I have installed most of the servos in the fuselage and hooked up the elevators, but not glued them on yet, as well as the rudder. Need to paint that bare spot on the tail cone first. But, no hurry really. Gonna be hot for a while longer.
Current Build = TF Hellcat RTC
Just Finished = BUSA 1/4 Fokker DVII
Before That = Meister 118" A6M3 Model 22 Zero

dlabby

I reworked the lower portion of Hellcat gear, towed in the wheels slightly, made flats for the 2 set screws. Flew 2 flights today with moderate landings and the gear held! Yea. No headwind at all so fast groundspeed.
I am relieved. Cowl had held solid though 5 flights so far. Yes, it is hot.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Good deal Darrell,

Got the OraTex matched to paint today at Home Depot. They did a good job as always.

Painted the cowl, tail cone, belly pan, gear doors, and the tail wheel cover/fairing. Used my Paasche airbrush.

dlabby

Looking more complete all the time. Yes HD does a good job. In our Euless store I always hope to see one of the two really good paint-matching, conscientious people there. Whew.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

July 23, 2020, 07:44:03 AM #34 Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:01:34 AM by Lane C.
A few of the other parts that are painted. The color of the parts depends on the light they are viewed under. Sunlight is the best test! Indoor lighting varies widely.

The belly pan color looks a bit off in this inside photo. On the bottom anyway, won't show much.

Tail cone is fairly close color-wise.

Tail wheel cover is not bad.

Gear doors before the final few coats of Orange.

Underside of cowl - pressure lip hardly shows.

Few more pics outside. That orange and the markings really pop!

Lane C.

July 25, 2020, 12:57:12 PM #35 Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:04:57 PM by Lane C.
Painted the pilot David McCampbell yesterday. Turned out OK, but I've done better. Put him in the cockpit for a few shots. Then, decided to paint the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit. Used Behr Ext Latex house paint in Satin finish. Dave is wearing the Summer weight tan flight suit that Pacific pilots wore. Or, as close to that color as I could mix. Life vest is Ochre Yellow, but comes out greenish in pics. I used a drawing from Wings Palette to go by - loosely anyway. Still have more to paint on the fuselage - canopy and tail flashes.

Lane C.

July 25, 2020, 07:17:34 PM #36 Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:19:56 PM by Lane C.
One more painting job done. Canopy masked and painted.

Lane C.

July 27, 2020, 07:42:45 PM #37 Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:04:49 PM by Lane C.
Wasn't satisfied with Dave's low position in the cockpit, so moved him UP one inch. Makes a lot of difference.

Before                                                   After

Lane C.

July 29, 2020, 10:01:22 PM #38 Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:06:17 PM by Lane C.
Bought a new FIJI one liter water bottle for the PSP gas tank hardware. Had that on hand from the CARF P-51 crash. Tank had some deep creases in it that looked like they might split. Changed out to be safe vs sorry. Tank fits under the hatch nicely along with the A123 batts and power switches. Haven't gotten the switches setup yet.

Lane C.

July 31, 2020, 07:54:54 AM #39 Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:14:31 PM by Lane C.
Strange things happen when painting a canopy. Sometimes the paint just don't stick! Yep, not only came off, just LIFTED off! Despite thorough cleaning and prepping, shoulda used a primer! Latex on bare plastic don't work! So, removed all the Orange paint and recleaned and remasked the canopy. Bought some self-etching primer this time around.

To screw down the canopy, I taped it in place. When I pulled the Blue painter's tape up, the paint came up with it! Ha. Very much a waste of several hour's work. Going to do it again and hope the results are permanent.

All the old paint gone and some small screws to hold the canopy down. Not going to Top Gun! Fun Fly Only!

Got the Orange painted this morning and let dry for 2 hours. then peeled off the tape. All good. In fact, much cleaner than the first attempt. Paint is stuck down solid. The self-etching primer is the key. Last pic with flash is to show the color better.

Lane C.

Sprayed the white tail flashes this morning. Turned out OK, but not Top Gun layout. It's a fun-fly Hellcat.

dlabby

Darrell Abby

Lane C.

August 04, 2020, 08:38:57 AM #42 Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:47:04 AM by Lane C.
33 OZ is about ONE LITER. FiJi water comes in a 1 Liter bottle. I usually run a 32 ounce tank on a DLE-55 engine. Gives plenty of time even with full throttle flying! And, with a Dubro 32 ounce tank, there really isn't the room for a "fat" tank, thus the long slim FiJi bottle conversion tank. As far as "room for," that's assuming you follow the factory setup for the servos up front. What sized tank are you running?

I made a platform for the tank yesterday that is cantilevered off the mid-fuselage tray with a support at the forward end.

Next, I will have to find a spot for all 3 batts and the power switches. Getting crowded in there.

dlabby

I have 24 oz tank for my 61cc engines which is plenty. I was just surprised since I didn't think you flew very long and one certainly does run out of room in there for sure. You're getting down to the nitty gritty end.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Today at 07:19:09 AM #44 Last Edit: Today at 07:49:09 AM by Lane C.
Darrell, there have been times I was low on gas during some of those formation flights with you and Barry! Flying at full throttle eats gas pretty quick!

Got word from Robart my retracts will be here on Friday. Seems they are pretty busy as the Robart guy said nothing is coming in from China and they are doing lots to make up for folks wanting retracts.

Meanwhile, I was making up my mind on switch locations. Found room for one in the hatch area and that was about it in that location. I then decided to put the two switches for Rx power on the fuselage. That's kind of a groan moment, but nowhere else to bury them. It is what it is - a fun fly Hellcat.

Another reason to put the switches on the fuselage sides is to get them near the Rx. The Spektrum 20 channel Rx requires EC3 connectors for power, so, I wanted to have the switches close to the Rx.

I was about out of good RC foam rubber for wrapping batteries and the ignition unit in so used some of the insulated bubble wrap I used for making the Meister Zero wing bags. Works great.

Next to last shot is the Rx with the EC3 connectors. For some reason, power is only supplied thru these connectors and leads  vs just plugging normal servo-style connectors into the servo input ports (parallel electrical inputs). Another strange change with the 20 channel Rx is that it runs on only ONE BATTERY at a time. If that one fails it switches over to the 2nd one if installed. I'm not sure I prefer that mechanization. I like to have BOTH batteries up and running at once like the previous Spektrum Rx's.

Last shot is the ignition unit. I took one more look at moving the unit to be on top of the firewall, but just not enough room for both the unit and battery. So, this is how she will roll. Might add a small aluminum heat shield in front of the unit.