• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Phoenix Models 65cc Tucano Build

Started by Sonny Coleman, September 10, 2020, 05:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Coleman

Just Starting this build with having it ready by the 2020 Texas Scale Championships on the 26 of September. Will be cutting it a bit close, but it's doable.
Plane Specification:
Wingspan: 2567mm (101")
Length: 2190mm (86.2")

Tricycle LG is electric and very heave built.

The Fuse is in two sections. What a beast.

Sonny
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Sonny Coleman

Just ordered a lighting kit and 3-blade spinner for the Tucano. Need to stay busy to maiden ths before 9/26/2020.

LightingSystem.PNG
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"<br />John Ruskin

Lane C.

If you don't sleep, you can make the dead line! Ha. I like that design. I had the Pilatus PC-21 which was cool and had swoopy lines.
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Sonny Coleman

The Tucano should fly like a pattern plane with the long fuse and light wing loading. 

There are currently 2-engine possibilities:
DLE-55RA - Fits perfectly within the cowling 
EME-61 w/Electric Start - Love the electric start option, but the side exhaust muffler may require some cutting on the cowling. Would rather not hack on the cowling. Still have not test fitted the EME option. The cowling is big and roomy inside. Maybe the EME, muffler and starter will all fit with minimal cowl cutting.

Sonny

Sonny Coleman

Ran a Monocote iron over the entire plane. I read on other build blogs where the Oracoat covering looks nice and tight out of the box, but when sunlight hits the wrinkles start appearing.

Finished both elevators/horizontal stabs. Each horizontal stabilizer has an elevator servo for each elevator making the linkages easy to setup.

Starting on the wings now. Preparing the ailerons and flaps. Electric LG should just drop in.

Moving right along. Still have hopes of making the September 26th Texas Scale Championships.

Sonny Coleman

The Aileron and flap servos and linkages are installed.

The entire flap linkage is hidden and the aileron linkages are semi-hidden under a shroud.

Electric Landing gear was a simple drop in and everything fit. Servo extensions added to flap and aileron servo leads.

So far so good. Might not make the 9/26/2020 event though.

Lane C.

Sonny, final 6 days before the meet. Take some NO DOZE and press on!

Sonny Coleman

Hi Lane, The Tucano project won't be ready for the scale championships now because I fried the landing gear control module by accident. Man, I sure wished it had air retracts. The Phoenix Models distributor in OK City (Zigi R/C) has not yet responded to my emails requesting a replacement LG module.

Looks like another contest is in store for the venerable old FW190. Haven't flown it in over a year so it's going to be at the field next week warming up for Saturday's competition.

Lane C.

Is that going to be the HUGE 190 or the smaller one? Lane

Sonny Coleman

Not the 113" Vailly, the Top Models RC 190.

Sonny Coleman

Progress has been slow as I accidently fried my electric retract module and had to get a replacement.

Got the replacement module and finished both the wings. The fuse comes in two halves due to it being so long. Plastic wing bolts and aluminum alignment dowels make it practical to keep the plane fuse having a two pieces to assemble at the flying field. The fuse is so long it wouldn't fit in my truck bed and I really don't like pulling that trailer unless I have to.

Servos are recessed into the horizontal stabilizer so I can't epoxy the stabs into the fuse if I want to be able to access the servos at a later date, which I probably will. The horizontal stabilizers bolt on to the fuse with a single hex head bolt. Make me kind of nervous, but I'm sure with the aluminum dowel spars they ain't going anywhere.

More to come..

dlabby

Wow! I just saw this thread. Can't wait to see this beauty. I looked and looked for plans or kit for the USAF Texan II. No joy. Not out there. I even called Mike Barbee; he built a "one-of". It was a true turbine geared to a prop.
So I have settled on Jerry Bates plans for 102.5" Cessna C-37 Airmaster.
Darrell Abby

dlabby

October 25, 2020, 08:01:50 PM #12 Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:56:31 PM by dlabby
OK, what is the source for that fancy lighting system?
Found it.

davesrce.com

He has lots of neat stuff.

Darrell Abby