• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., December 25, 2020, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Got the trailing edge fairly even across the upper wing.

Finished sheeting and cap stripping the center section today.

The narrow sheeting at the edge of the center section needs to be left long so as to blend with the scalloped trailing edge.

The sheeting forward of that is left open till the Tee Nuts for the Cabane struts can be added.

Adding and shaping the leading edge is next.

Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Lane C.

February 02, 2021, 11:58:56 AM #16 Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:05:58 PM by Lane C.
Started the true Leading Edge today. Used regular TiteBond Yellow carpenter's glue. It works for me. You can use thick CA as well, but not as much time to work the setup, in my opinion. I will add, there is a very thick CA that comes in a tube which might give you longer time to work the two surfaces before firing-off, but I haven't tried it. ZAP GOO and ZAP RT are the CA in tubes. Need to test them out one day.But the general problem with CA is once you set the surfaces, they may fire-off right then and if cock-eyed, you will have to rip and tear to get them off and start over. So, better to use a more forgiving glue on LE's.

Lane C.

February 03, 2021, 08:27:44 AM #17 Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:34:28 AM by Lane C.
Added the true Leading Edges on all the wing panels. Let them dry overnight. Then this morning, shaved the excess off them and sanded them down to the sheeting and ready for the final airfoil profile.

Lane C.

February 03, 2021, 11:02:27 AM #18 Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:33:38 PM by Lane C.
All shaped before lunch! Using the shaping jig saves lots of time and makes a consistently-even LE across the wing.

The shaping jig pics are at the bottom of this post. Made from scrap plywood and making a leading edge template off the plans. 60 or 80 grit paper is used which cuts fast, but you can over do it if you don't watch what you are doing. Take your time and check the LE often. Or, use less grit paper such as 150. But that takes longer! Follow up with a fine-grit foam sanding sponge to smooth out the sheeting/leading edge. Again, go easy, as the LE balsa is usually kinda soft.

Lane C.

February 05, 2021, 10:28:21 PM #19 Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:33:23 PM by Lane C.
Started the left bottom wing today and almost done with it. Couple of more things to complete such as shear webbs, leading edge sheeting, top/bottom cap strips, and the final leading edge.

And yes, I will use the round tubing wing supports on the bottom wing also. This is almost the same as the upper wing but no center section. The single 3 foot wing tube goes thru a support tube inside the fuselage, and the wings just slide on the tubes and up against the fuselage sides. The tube housings will go in the wing in the same way as the uppers. You can see how they will mount in the 2nd photo, but will have to wait till the fuselage is built to finish mounting them.

Lane C.

Got more done on the left bottom wing today. All she lacks now is the true leading edge. Sheeted both sides leading edge and capp-stripped top and bottom.

Lane C.

True leading edge glued on, trimmed, and shaped. That's pretty much the left wing done. Right wing next.

I used the shaping jig on the LE again. Really takes a lot of worry out of shaping the LE as the sandpaper shapes the LE as you work down thru the balsa. Simple tool and doesn't take long to build one.

Lane C.

Pretty much a repeat of the last wing panel. Got it framed up and ready for the shear webbs, leading edge, LE sheeting, and so on. Looks good so far.

Lane C.

Down to the last big task of the wing build - planing and shaping the bottom right LE after gluing.

Got the plans for the tail feathers laid out, that's next.

Lane C.

Got the right LE done and put aside. Started the horz stab.

dlabby

Beautiful wood construction, as usual. I totally agree with your glue analysis a few posts back. I use Titebond yellow for most construction. CA and epoxies have their uses though. You have a multi-dimensional LE template. I just use single template. You 'da man! I have my Cessna wings covered and waiting on some rib tape to arrive so I'm on hold. No mail for 3 days. I had some tape but didn't like my test application , hence the late ordering. The Fokker is looking good.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

February 19, 2021, 06:20:34 PM #26 Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:31:54 PM by Lane C.
Thanks for dropping by, Darrell!

Building is fun as long as I take it at a pace that's relaxing. I just took several days off because of the cold snap, so was glad to get back to building today.

Finished the horz stab and started on the elevators.

You can see how the elevator tip has a balsa filler piece in it to make it  agree with the plans. The die cut parts usually don't agree with the plans, so to make them round, I had to add to them! ha. No big deal.

Lane C.

Got the elevators done. The whole horz tail is 41x25. Rudder and vert stab is next.

Lane C.

February 23, 2021, 06:24:43 PM #28 Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:29:19 PM by Lane C.
Got the tail feathers done and ready to start on the fuselage.

The vert stab took about 10 minutes. Rudder took a bit longer as the curved parts required laminating all 21 parts! Once laminated they were sanded smooth and placed in approximately position, then glued in place. Then the inner parts added. And then, the rudder placed with the vert stab.

The 2nd photo is where I laid out the parts with 1 degree and 2 degree positive incidence. This is to keep the tail up as the DVII goes faster. A flat bottom wing tends to climb as speed increases. So, adding positive incidence will keep lifting the tail and keep the nose down. I laid out the two situations to see how it was going to affect the parts as they install on the horz stab. Results are that the vert stab will need to be moved farther aft to push the rudder out of the way of the aft fuselage. Prolly not noticeable if I didn't mention it.

Lane C.

February 27, 2021, 08:11:07 AM #29 Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:21:46 AM by Lane C.
Had to buy a new piece of foam for the longer fuselage. This is 1 inch thick for a more solid base. Cut it to 7 feet by 3 feet. Fuselage plan sheet takes the whole 7 foot table. Had to leave some room around the foam edges to work without cutting into/tearing up the foam. I need to build a full 8 foot long table one of these days.

Right now I'm deciding on how much positive incidence to allow on the horz stab:  +1 deg or +2 deg or leave it like the plans show. I can build a few of the front end laminated parts while I'd thinking that one over.