• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., December 25, 2020, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

Sonny, more pics of how big the 1/3 DVII is!

I attached the center section of the top wing to the struts, and then the outer panels to the center. Then added the bottom wing. This is a big girl! Needs a bit of adjustment to the top wing as far as being aligned to the fuselage. And since this is such a big plane, takes a lot of time to assess just exactly what  is needed to bring it into alignment. Wore me out as well as frustrated me a lot. Will get back to her on the morrow when I am fresher.
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Lane C.

One more pic of the wing alignments. Not perfect perhaps, but this is how it's going to be! ha. Spent HOURS messing with the top and bottom wings. Time to move on to the N Struts.

Lane C.

Now that the Cabane struts are established, I spent two hours finishing the dummy engine. Also brought out the tail feathers to the shop for a few group pics.

The dummy engine needs more TLC, but other than paint, she's about done.

Lane C.

Got both N Struts made and looking good. These were fairly time consuming, but not as hard as I first thought.

Lane C.

Glassed the N Struts today. Bit of 3/4 ounce cloth on both ends. Yesterday I smoothed out where the two ends meet with some Dolphin Glaze and sanded it down.

Lane C.

Got some grey sandable primer on the N-Struts. Little by little.

Lane C.

Been fixated on the 1/4 DVII so spent some time on the 1/3 DVII today. The dummy engine needed some advancement so sanded a bit and hit with primer. Gotta keep on a project and not let too much grass grow under it. Getting primer or paint on a part evens out/unifies the appearance. Lane

Lane C.

Today at 08:41:34 AM #67 Last Edit: Today at 08:47:29 AM by Lane C.
Started on the fairings for the Cabane struts. Got them cut and CA'd to the struts and then primed them. They need some Dolphin Glaze to cover the gap between the strut and fairing. More sanding and more primer over that.

Used flash to show the struts better. I cut the fairings to the angle shown on the plans.

After the above is done, I will cut 3/4 inch wide strips of OraTex and iron them on the struts in 3 or 4 places on each strut top keep the fairings in place. White paint then covers it all.