• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Fokker DVII Kit Build

Started by Lane C., December 25, 2020, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lane C.

December 25, 2020, 07:12:08 PM Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:15:30 PM by Lane C.
Yep, you read it right! Loved building the 1/4 scale so much, I am doing the 1/3 scale! Gotta have a new project to work on this Winter.

Started off with the BUSA Gun Kits for the Spandau. Been a while since I've done any shop work, so I am starting with the guns to get my "feel" back. Will get to the model build itself, next.

I'll cut to the chase and show the first completed gun, bare, primered, and less black paint.
Current Build = 1/3 BUSA Fokker DVII

Lane C.

January 01, 2021, 10:49:44 AM #1 Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:39:10 PM by Lane C.
Bought an adapter for the newer style foo-foo paint cans. I need to spray right handed or it's awkward. Now, still need to figure out the airbrush using the right hand.

Warmed up the shop and gave the gun a coat of flat black. New tool worked OK. All projects look better with a coat of flat black. Ha.

The gun kit is a good representation of the Spandau. Williams Bros does not make the 1/3 Spandau gun. I thought they did, but found out otherwise. Guys are using 3-D printers to make guns and dummy Mercedes engines nowdays. That's a pretty cool way to go. I Fly Tailies makes a 3-D Spandau gun. Their stuff is fairly pricey though.

Lane C.

January 16, 2021, 09:27:30 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:44:52 PM by Lane C.
Got both guns made and painted. Turned out OK.

Also started building the kit. Cutting to the chase, have the center wing section almost built.

I am substituting a 1" diameter aluminum T6 6061 round stock wing tube for the square stock wing tube in the kit. The round stock is from TnT Landing Gear and they supply all kinds of aluminum stock. And as a result, had to change how the round stock is mounted in the center and outer wing sections. Not a big deal but took making some "donuts" to hold the wing tube in place.

Last pic shows all the excess spars and tube cut and sanded off even with the outer ribs.

Lane C.

A bit more on the DVII build. Added the laminated "vision" cutout and sanded it to shape. Gave the wing tube and donuts a coat of Z-Poxy to seal it in and solidify all points of attachment to the spar and shear braces. This is a modification to the kit contents, so, better SAFE than SORRY! Just a few more things on this center wing section and will move to the outer wing sections.

Paul Lange

January 17, 2021, 10:30:23 PM #4 Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:34:32 PM by Paul Lange
Lane- I just completed the Hangar 9 DVII 87inch wingspan as electric....a far cry from scale...but it is big and resembles a Fokker DVII ....interesting that you are building one......I guess it's a year for a WW1 Bipe perhaps

Paul H LaneNo message is associated with this attachment.No message is associated with this attachment.
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Lane C.

Hi Paul, I'm building the 2nd one, that is! First DVII was the 1/4 scale.

Jack Haynes says his son's H9 DVII flies well. It's a quick way to get in the air for WWI! Gas engine would be a better choice for power!

dlabby

Lane, guns look good. I would post my build here but it does take a fair amount of time to do that. Readership seems to be minimal. Maybe there are more outsiders looking at it. Are you putting yours on RCSB also?
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

January 18, 2021, 06:44:52 PM #7 Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:47:22 PM by Lane C.
Hi Darrell, yes, putting it on RCSB. Prolly doesn't get much readers here, but what the hey? Might help educate someone wanting to see how I do things RC.

Took a comparison photo of my 1/4 and 1/3 scale DVII's center wing sections. The third scale is huge - 21 inch chord. 1/4 scale chord is 16 inches.

Also thru with the center wing section today, and will start the outer panels next.

Last photo. Doing a few things the manual says to do before building the outer panels. One job is setting up the wing inserts to hold the N struts and the other is capping the wing tubes with balsa on one end. I coated the ends with Z-Poxy to seal over a bit of sanding. Next, I can lay down the bottom spar for the right outer panel.

Lane C.

January 22, 2021, 07:59:00 PM #8 Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:01:32 PM by Lane C.
Got the right outer panel finished to the point of making the left outer panel, per the assembly manual. I suggest you follow the manual to keep from going past important reasons for not skipping ahead!

Of course, I had to see how the center and right panels hooked up. I did have a bit of a problem with the right panel, but have it worked out. The test fit looks good at this point. Looking forward to seeing both outer panels on the center section with the wing tube glued in.

The wing is 118 inches long. But, that's including the ailerons which protrude past the wing tips a few inches.

Lane C.

A LONG Sunday and got lots done on the upper wing. Bottom line, got the wing tube installed to make a 1 piece wing out of 3 panels.

On the 3rd photo you can see how the "donuts" are fitted to hold the wing tubes in place, along with triangle stock, to tie the tube to the upper spar and shear braces.

Lane C.

Got going early today. Gave the wing tubes a coat of Z-Poxy to seal them in place.

Lane C.

Day is not over yet! Sheeted the LE on the left outer panel. Turned out nice. One more LE to sheet (on upper wing).

Lane C.

January 26, 2021, 10:38:01 PM #12 Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:40:52 PM by Lane C.
Worked the bottom of the wing today. Cap strips, reinforcements, dowels, and the wing is very rigid now. Still more to go.