• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

NA P-51C Mustang

Started by Darrell Abby, February 07, 2022, 04:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell Abby

February 07, 2022, 04:58:16 PM Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:31:41 PM by Sonny Coleman
The Boise Bee is getting almost finished. One more Callie graphic, a coat of Klass Kote satin clear, and it will be ready for equipment re-installation. The cockpit is not started but the plan is to get in some flights and work on the cockpit simultaneously. The subject aircraft restoration was completed in 2010 by the Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa, ID and flies in airshows out west. The model replicates the museum aircraft. I give credit to the museum staff for assisting me in this project, especially aviation photographer Don Sherron who sent me about 150 photos of the bird. The plans are 1/5 scale from Jerry Bates; Lee Rice did the great wood work and engineering; I took it from there. It is powered by a DJ 72 with Sierra gear and Klass Kote paint. The 25" 4-blade, non-flying, scale prop/spinner is complete. Should have some finish photos in a couple of weeks.
IMG_0843.jpg
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Great looking P-51, Darrell! Paint scheme is definitely something different. Very interesting. Lane
Current Build = Ziroli Corsair with 70cc Twin

Darrell Abby

Darrell Abby

Barry Ponder

First rate job. She's a head turner for sure.
Barry

Barry Ponder

The scale prop really looks great.
Barry

Darrell Abby

Maybe one last clear coat today(Sat 2/12)--only some wing touch up. I guess I have never used Klass Kote clear over white; I'm not happy with how it discolored the white trim stripes. And the satin catalyst is a little shinier than I was hoping for. Guess I will live with it. Should have the Mustang together and out in the driveway within a week.
Darrell Abby

Barry Ponder

Darrell Abby

Got the Mustang out to the drive, solved the throttle linkage problem, and got some phone pics here. Saturday she flew 1 good, solid flight before tailwheel problem (which turned out to be operator trim error). Got her dressed up in scale duds for Nancy to get some real pictures. Then she got some airborne shots. I don't have them yet. She looks good in that big scale 4-blade prop.
Darrell Abby

Lane C.

Be sure to post Nancy's pics here. Thanks, Lane

Darrell Abby

Nancy got a few photos through QC and on to me. More coming later. Need more airborne; all these were of starboard with no nose art and had 2 gear door problems. So I'll have to pay her for another session. Haha. On to the cockpit.
Darrell Abby

Sonny Coleman

Great job Darrell, that's a good looking mustang!

How does it fly compared to your Thunderbolt and the previous mustang.
Slava Ukraini! Смерть російським загарбникам

Darrell Abby

Sonny, it flies very true and solid. Better landings on earlier flights than more recently. On flight # 12 I bent the Sierra trunnion so the tire stuck in the wheel well. I replaced the trunnion with a part from gear of earlier Mustang. So she is ready to go fly again. Also had trouble starting the engine when hot. So I'm still trying to determine if it is going to be dependable for competition. Still working on the cockpit also.
Darrell Abby

Barry Ponder

Yes definitely. She's needs some ironing out those issues of not wanting to start up after a hot run.
Maybe richen up that low end some.
Try to get a temp check as soon as she lands. Both bottom and top may need richening some.
I'm not sure what compression that engine runs. Since it's not a DLE or DA. Might try some octane booster if it has significantly higher compression.
Also could have a leak somewhere causing the prime to run back into the tank. 
Well that just about covers it.
Ha.
Except for ignition problems.

Barry 

Lane C.

March 15, 2022, 03:31:11 PM #13 Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 03:49:59 PM by Lane C.
Darrell, now, try adding a pressure lip to the bottom of the fuselage. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes in cooling. Hardly noticeable.

Also, I see the clam shell door on the right is not closing completely. If you move the pneumatic ram to the forward side of the door, it will do a better job of holding the door closed. It's not quite scale at that location, but it works. Again, not noticeable.

Darrell Abby

Thanks, Lane. Yes, considered moving to front but no room. I may try the temporary lip trick though.
Darrell Abby