• Welcome to Greater Southwest Aero Modelers Chat Forum. Please login or sign up.

New 60" WS ME-109F 3D Printed Model

Started by Sonny Coleman, February 11, 2022, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Coleman

One of my favorite WW2 fighter aircraft is a ME-109 and in my humble opinion the "F" model 109 was the deadliest version based on the "F" model being lighter and more nimble than the more heavily gunned "G" and "K" models.

Anyways, I purchased the 3DLabPrint ME-109 CAD files (.stl) and can't wait to get to it. I do love spitfires in general but there's nothing more sinister looking than a properly painted and outfitted ME-109!

Let The Good Times Roll! learning about  the wonderful 3D printing hobby in general with printing out cool scale models with their associated, sometimes hard to find, scale parts and pieces.

No message is associated with this attachment.
Slava Ukraini! Смерть російським загарбникам

Barry Ponder

Going to be super cool when done.
Barry

Sonny Coleman

February 17, 2022, 06:36:24 PM #2 Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:01:54 PM by Sonny Coleman
I've noticed 3dlabprints.com has really improved the assembly process of their 3D printed aircraft by changing the way fuselage/wings sections connect to one another. The 3dlabprints 67" WS Spitfire is VERY difficult to properly align and glue the wing and fuse sections reliably.

The new 3dlabprints ME-109F has a new, much easier, assembly process.

So, I've put the spitfire project on the back burner and working on the 109. The 109 is a much easier to align and assemble parts properly.

There are two printers printing 109 parts, well actually three because one is printing different sized aircraft tires. The Prusa is printing with the new LW-PLA filament that weighs less than half than the regular PLA filament and the material has some give to it without breaking making it more tolerant to mishaps and it's less sensitive to heat.

The ME-109 tires and wheels are dead on in comparison to the full scale, plus the tires are rubbery like a tire should be. The tires are printed from a flexible TPU filament called NinjaFlex. Perfect for printing scale tires.

Barry Ponder

Really cool.  Can't wait to see a finished product and in your hands.
With a fast Sonny pass down the runway.
Going to be a cool deal.
Barry

Sonny Coleman

March 11, 2022, 03:06:37 PM #4 Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 03:09:56 PM by Sonny Coleman
Finally, just about finished the ME-109F project. I need 2-130mm retract struts, but everyone's out of stock. I have 2-115mm struts that can maybe be extended a little.

This bird is almost ready to fly. No paint or finish work until the plane is proven to be a good flyer. Based on the YouTube videos of the printed 109 flying I'd say if balanced properly it will fly great.

The printed ME-109 spinner came out very nice as did the plane's printed main wheels and tailwheel.

Sonny Coleman

The canopy needs some plexiglass so the canopy frame needs to be cut out. I used an electric hot knife to make the initial glass cutouts then used a dremel and exacto knife to finish cut.

The fuselage section with the canopy glass is F3 with the back canopy glass being in section F4.

This is my first attempt at cutting out plastic to install canopy glass so the first example is kind of rough.

Steve Rogers

Looks like some pretty delicate work.
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Sonny Coleman

ME-109's O' Plenty

Completed 2-ME109F planes and have gone just about as far as I can with the 109 project due to not being able to find the correct length retract struts. I had the bright idea of just using the Spitfire struts, but they are only 110mm long and I need 130mm with a 5mm mounting post.

A picture of the (currently) messy aircraft build table with 2-ME-109s

Barry Ponder

Rats. May be time to buy a lath and become a machinist.
Sure looks good so far.
Barry

Steve Rogers

Someone in the club should have a lathe.

I have a wood lathe with a 3-jaw chuck that I use to make small metal parts that aren't too complex. Do you have a picture of what the part looks like that is too short?
Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Sonny Coleman

Found a workaround for the short retract strut issue. The retract strut connects to the retracts using a 5mm pin with 2-set screws to fasten a strut to the retract pin. I found a 5mm to 5mm coupling with set screws on both ends. This should work (I hope).

Images below are the retract strut, retract block, and 5mm pin coupling.

Darrell Abby

This is a very interesting project. Looking forward to seeing it at the field.
Darrell Abby

Sonny Coleman

Well the ME-109 has all servos installed, servo linkages installed and adjusted, spinner installed, RETRACTS DONE.

She's ready to fly except for being balanced, which I'll do once I get the batteries in.

Darrell Abby

Looks fantastic. So much surface detail. What are the painting plans and scheme?
Darrell Abby

Sonny Coleman

Hi Darrell, this first production unit will be a bare metal example without paint nor markings. 

If its a keeper I'll print/build a second plane that will sport Erich Hartmann's paint scheme and graphics from Callie Graphics.

The ME-109 came out nose heavy of all things. Once the CG is properly set she will be ready to go for her maiden voyage.

Unfortunately, the next decent weather/wind day now shows to be late next week.

Also, if this 3D printed plane turns out good the next subject will be a Waco YMF-5 
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/wacoymf5/
Waco Flying Video:

ME-109 Video: 

Sonny